Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Bleeping Computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 myzr

myzr

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:45 PM

Hello all... just got my tax return back and thinkin about buying a new pc. My bro in law says that I should only buy an amd 64 bit. He says that 64 bit is gonna change the pc as we know it today. About as big of change as win 95 from win 3.1. Is he right or not??
lm 10730

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 03 April 2005 - 11:55 AM

I made my first pc last month. I after reading and looking at all the cpu choices I went for a AMD 64. Why would I do that? For one it runs cooler and another it benchmarks more than a pentium 4 3.2ghz even though my 3200 only runs at 2.2ghz.

I was told they were good. So I went with one. It is amazing how fast this thing is! It runs cool and is very fast.

The thing is all your programs now run in 32bit. They will be twice as fast and way better when they get into 64bit.

Though 64-bit computing has been around for some 14 years or so, until recently it has been accessible only to those operating high-end servers running RISC-based processors such as Sun Microsystem Inc.'s SPARC, IBM's Power and Hewlett-Packard Co.'s PA-RISC.

See they have been around for a while but only big systems for work have them. Now as more and more programs are power hungry for not just big work computers but your home computer 64bit is coming.

I have a link for you that might help.
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1776011,00.asp

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions just ask.

My advice dont go for anything else.

#3 sumukh

sumukh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:05 PM

Hi myzr & cowsgonemadd3,
64 bit computing is the future. Here is one article which compares AMD Athlon 64 with Intel P4. :thumbsup:

Check out AMD Athlon 64 vs Intel P4 study review.

Regards

Sumukh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users