Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HALF LIFE 2 Registry code help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bigjon

bigjon

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:27 PM

Hello, I recently bought half life 2 for my pc and have been playing it for sometime. Now i want to reformat my computer and have lost the code. Is there anyway to retrieve it from my registry or any other options or ideas? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:39 PM

if you reformatted, i suggest just reinstalling the game and recovering what you lost.

#3 bigjon

bigjon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:46 PM

I wish it was that easy but you cant reinstall the game unless you have a keycode generated by steam. It wont even play without the code and i lost it so if i need the code so i can reinstall. so i was wondering what to do isnt there a way to retrieve it from my registry.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:38 PM

Can you explain this very simply for me..I've had a long day, and my brain is only running on half a cylinder at the moment.

What is preventing you from getting another code from steam? The code is probably somewhere in the registry, but it is going to be encrypted in such a manner that even if you do find it, you won't be able to do anything with it....

Mmm.. I take that back. If you can find the code, you can export the registry key (it saves as a text file, or a .reg file.) Once you have the reinstall done, then you should be able to merge it back into the registry. Of course, you would have to know exactly which key it was written to, and it may be written to more than one key.

#5 bigjon

bigjon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2005 - 07:14 PM

Steam and all of its online products work off key codes. That way they make sure that you have to buy one copy of the game for EVERY computer you own and want to put the game on. I have 2 computers so i have 2 copies. When you install the game it asks you for the key code. If you dont have one, or the one you typed is already in use, you cant even continue installing the game. Well what happens when you lose the code like me. A 50 dollar frisbee pretty much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users