Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Real Bad! All Applications "specified Path Not Found"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nox1021

nox1021

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:21 PM

Hey, I need someone's help on this real bad.

My computer at work had a bunch of viruses on it from the last user one of which was the WinAntivirus Pro thing. I used spybot search and destroy to get rid of it and don't have the popups anymore. However, whenever I try and open a shortcut or go into Programs to open say Word or Excel I get this error that says "(null) specified path not found". Even when I try and do something like Run>"regedit" I get the same error message. However, I can open up old documents then open a new one off of them and it works fine. Internet is fine too. And when I download something new it won't open because of the same error message. Have I messed up my registry (and if so, permanently)? I know the corruptions from the virus were pretty bad but I didn't realize it was that bad. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I'm decent at working computers if I have instructions and am willing to do it manually if necessary. Or is my registry just gone and my computer with it? Anybody's help in any way would be amazing! Please reply quick!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Daiichi Kuronama

Daiichi Kuronama

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:55 PM

It sounds like one of the malware programs altered the "run" command in the registry, by making everything run through it first. Then, when you removed the malware, the program it was supposed to run through was missing. Look at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/exefile/shell/open/command and see if anything has been added there. If there are any keys there at all, the only data should read:
"%1" %*
If you see any programs listed there, that was probably the old executable. That key told it to run the malware first, then the new program.
As far as editing the registry without being able to run regedit, that is a puzzlement. If you have another computer, you can make a BART CD from there that will include an external registry editor. Or, you can try safe mode. Or you can see if a third-party file manager like Total Commander will let you around that. Some such programs ignore the registry and use their own API calls to execute programs. Good luck.

UPDATE: You could try this: http://www.symantec.com/security_response/...-050614-0532-99
I'm not positive it'll cure what ails you, but if nothing else works, it might be worth a try.

Edited by Daiichi Kuronama, 28 May 2008 - 02:57 PM.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:47 PM

can you tell us exactly what programs you DID use to try to clean this beauty?

we may be able to offer some more to see if sumunt is lurking :thumbsup:

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:51 PM

Its not unusual to receive such an error after using specialized fix tools.

A "Cannot find...", "Could not run...", "Error loading... or "specific module could not be found" message is usually related to malware that was set to run at startup but has been deleted. Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file was mostly likely removed during an anti-virus or anti-malware scan. However, an associated orphaned registry entry remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up. Since the file no longer exists, Windows will display an error message. You need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads.

To resolve this, download Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.
Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click HERE if you're not sure how to do this.)
Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message.
Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.

thanks to quietman7.post 10...http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/138462/im-infected-with-adware-pop-ups-and-fake-security-messages-etc/?p=781043

Edited by boopme, 28 May 2008 - 03:54 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 nox1021

nox1021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:42 PM

The program was Spybot Search and Destroy to get rid of a WinAntivirus Pro (ironically virus) that someone else had managed to let corrupt the computer. After much effort to try and get rid of all traces of the virus the Spybot apparently deleted several registry keys. I would try and see which ones were removed to repair them but can't access the registry. Would a complete reinstall of Windows 2000 work?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,214 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

Yes it will!! Clears the malware and the errors.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 nox1021

nox1021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:12 PM

Cool! Thanks for your help. One last quick question, by reinstalling Windows (I'm pretty confident I'll be able to save all the files before actually going through the reinstall) will this restore the registry keys that were deleted?

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,214 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:20 PM

I'm a bit removed from @K now but a full wipe ofv the drive and install will remove everything and reinstall new. That said you will need to redo all updates. Do you have them available to youi?

#9 nox1021

nox1021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:25 PM

I imagine I would have all the updates necessary. I already made a list of program files and applications to put back on to the computer. Are there specific updates you were referring to that I should ensure having?

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,214 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:43 PM

I was thinking of the service packs and possible hotfixes that occured after the original disks.

Here's a link on installing if it will help.
http://www.windows2000.windowsreinstall.com/

#11 nox1021

nox1021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:52 PM

Shouldn't I be able to go to the Microsoft website after installing and just download all the most recent updates? That had been my plan although if you have a simpler solution I would be grateful to hear it

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,214 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:55 PM

I'm not certain as it is old.
Post a new question about that in this forum someone will know better.

#13 nox1021

nox1021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:06 PM

Alright, thanks so much for all your help. I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I get everything back together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users