Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Wont Boot From Installation Cd

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 candy99cane

candy99cane

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:17 PM

Hello,

I have a Dell Dimension 4300 series. I have backed up all the files that I need and I am trying to reformat the HDD. Instructions state to just insert the installation cd for xp and restart the computer. However when I restart the computer and hit f12, then option 4 for cd rom, it is still booting to windows. I was advised to changed the boot sequence, which I unselected everything except the cd rom drive to boot from and restarted the computer. Somehow it is not working. Can someone help me out or is there another work around?

Frustrated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noto

noto

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:23 PM

Well if you really did only select to boot from CD then it wouldnt of booted from your hard disk and gone into Windows.

Go into your BIOS settings and make sure it boots from CD before Hard Drive.

#3 candy99cane

candy99cane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:30 PM

in the boot sequence, initially i had check marks next to the floppy drive, the hard drive, and the cd rom, i unchecked the first two, then tried restarting and hitting f12, it comes to the boot menu, I choose option 4, then it says press f1 to retry or f2 to go into setting. Retry doesn't work and I just keep going around in circles in the boot menu. Is there another way around this? Could the system possibly see the ram i recently installed as another drive?

Edited by candy99cane, 28 May 2008 - 01:38 PM.

#4 candy99cane

candy99cane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:57 PM

This is crazy..... Is anyone going to help me out!

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:43 PM

Instructions are here:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...lve.htm#1140285
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#6 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:05 PM

Hi and welcome candy99cane,

To change the boot order to read CD/DVDVD Rom First:
  • Turn on (or restart) your computer.
  • When the blue DELL logo appears, press <F2> immediately a few times. You should enter System Setup Screens .
  • The Options List appears on the left side of the system setup window.
  • You can Scroll up (or down) the list by using the up- and down-arrow keys.
  • In the left pane select System and Press Enter to expand.
  • Scroll down and select Boot Sequence and press Enter.
  • In the right pane select CD/DVD ROM Or USB CD-Rom Drive and move it to number one( you can use U/D keys to change the order).
  • Press Enter and then Esc.
  • In the right pane use the arrow keys to select Save/Exit. Press Enter.
good luck Frustrated! :thumbsup:

Edited by farbar, 28 May 2008 - 03:07 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:42 PM

Be sure that you're using the Dell disk that states "Operating System" on it's face. I don't believe that the other disks are bootable.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 onalandline

onalandline

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:46 AM

I too am having problems booting from my CD drive. I have changed the settings to boot from the CD drive first in the BIOS and my Windows XP P CD is in the CD drive, but when I restart the computer the start-up screen just says "Boot from CD...", but never says to hit any key to boot from CD. Even thought I do hit any key, it still boots up to the desktop. I have updated the BIOS since the last time I tried to re-install windows. Do you think it is a BIOS problem? I have heard from some folks about removing the battery to reset CMOS settings after a BIOS update. My drives are operating properly. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Support Our Troops!

#9 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:37 PM

This thread you have added your post to is nearly a year old. I'd start your own thread. It's more apt to get noticed by the helpers.
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#10 onalandline

onalandline

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:21 PM

Thanks, I'll do that.

Edited by onalandline, 20 April 2009 - 03:22 PM.

Support Our Troops!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users