Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Doent Work Properly...malware Or Burn Out?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kooz

Kooz

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:04 PM

Hi. The past few days Ive been using various programs to remove some malware from my pc. I had just done a spybot scan before i went to bed last night, and when i woke up this morning my laptop display wont work. Its completely black (though i can barely still see the desktop) and not lit up. I did a sytem restore and the display still wont function. I was wondering if this could be associated with malware or if this is just coincidence that my display happened to burn out a few days after becoming infected. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:07 PM

Does the display work in safe mode? At bootup is the screen it's regular brightness?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Kooz

Kooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:42 PM

Nope

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:19 PM

If there's no adjustment for brightness then the monitor died?

coincidence since maleware/driver failure shouldn't affect safe mode or bios bootup screens, just hardware failure
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Kooz

Kooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:30 PM

Thats what I was worried about. *sigh* not a good week to be my computer. Where exactly would a brightness adjustment be located (its a laptop)? I tried looking in power options but it wasnt there
Thanks for your help chew

Edited by Kooz, 28 May 2008 - 06:15 PM.

#6 Kooz

Kooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:18 PM

Nevermind. I tried to adjust it but nothing works. It must be blown. thanks

#7 MentallyNormal

MentallyNormal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:13 PM

If you can barely see the desktop,that probably is the back light of the lcd screen or the inverter. One of those are bad,that is what is causing the dim light issue.
If you have a separate monitor you can test if it's just the back light,by plugging another monitor in the vga port on the laptop. Then you hit the FN aka Function key to switch over to the monitor.

If the display is perfectly fine on another monitor then it's just the back light/inverter going bad. To fix it you would need to take it into a repair shop or have it fixed by a friend that has done it before.

Edited by MentallyNormal, 28 May 2008 - 10:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users