Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Mechanic

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Delaine

Delaine

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:24 PM

I have the registry mechanic free installed on my computer. I also have AVG new addition ( free ). But, when that runs it comes up with a few problems and removes them. Registry Mechanic says I have over 300 problems. Are they just trying to get me to puchase or is this really a concern. The computer seems to be running good.

Thanks

Delaine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:49 PM

Hello,

A registry cleaner is just a tool to scan the systems registry and report back on items that are obsolete or not needed. However, there is no need to purchase this tool if your system is running fine.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:57 PM

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications. There are a number of them available and some are more safe than others. Keep in mind that no two registry cleaners work entirely the way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad" entry. One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause a problem when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system unbootable.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Delaine

Delaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:07 PM

Thanks to both of you guys. I can rest a little easier now.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:03 AM

You're welcome. :thumbsup:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif