Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Isolate Wireless Problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dogmom623

dogmom623

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:42 AM

I hope this is the proper place to post this - if it belongs in a different forum, please let me know!

I came home yesterday to find that I could no longer connect to the Internet wirelessly, even though I was able to connect properly that morning, and nothing had been changed or for that matter touched on my configuration during the day.

My configuration is as follows:

High Speed Internet to Cable Modem;
Cable Modem connected by Ethernet cable to Apple Time Capsule/Airport Router
Time Capsule networked wirelessly with MacBook Pro running 10.5.2
MacBook Pro recognizes Time Capsule and settings in Airport Utility are accurate.

Here's what I know for sure:
  • There is a good signal to the modem - has been confirmed with the cable company. Internet service is up, and they have successfully pinged the modem, reset it, etc.
  • There is a good signal from modem to the computer when I hardwire them with the Ethernet cord directly. I can then connect to the Internet properly. I conclude from this that the cord itself (which usually runs from modem to TM) is working.
  • There is a good signal from the Time Capsule to the computer - the computer recognizes and properly identifies the TC as a wireless network, and TC signals are all correct.
  • All components are in the same room, and signal strength is usually excellent.
PROBLEM: When I try to connect wirelessly, via the TC, to the Internet, I get the standard error message that the "Internet Connection does not seem to be working." My computer sees the TC, but somehow the Internet signal is getting "lost" between the modem and the computer - as if the TC is not recognizing it even though it is hardwired to the modem by Ethernet.

I have gone through every manual and checklist I can think of, restarted multiple times, spent over an hour on the phone with my cable provider, and am hitting a wall. If anyone can offer help, it would be SO appreciated!

Thanks!

Linda

Edited by dogmom623, 28 May 2008 - 12:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users