Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 luan37

luan37

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:41 AM

Hello,

It seems like I have a sound problem. When I open the sound box I can test windows sounds and they work fine but on websites I can't hear anything if there is music or sounds. I downloaded something from microsoft yesterday and it seems like it qould have caused the problem but I can't find how to desinstall it. It's called silverlight.
anybody knows how to fix the problem?
yesterday I finally got the sound back but this morning it's not working again...

i'm using windows vista

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:19 PM

I doubt that SilverLight would cause a problem but you never know. An explaination is here:

http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9714748-2.html

I think that I would first open up the Device Manager and check for any yellow !'s or red X's in the sound, video, and game controllers...Click "+" to open it...

While there I would roll back the drivers for my sound card...Leave legacy drivers alone...If that doesn't work try to update them....And if that doesn't work I would un-install the device re-boot and let Windows re-install it for you.

The next thing to try if either of these don't work would be to go to the manufacturer of your computers website...plug in the model # or service tag# on your computer and select the drivers that were originally installed on your system...Follow the directions on the page for installation.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:21 PM

Silverlight is a browser plug-in. Open Internet Explorer and click on the Tools tab. Click on Manage Add-ons and select Disable Add-Ons. It should be in there
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 luan37

luan37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:31 PM

apparently its looking fine on the device manager. tried to update but its up to date. on internet explorer, the sound works. on firefox, it doesnt for example when i use youtube. but if i watch a movie with windows media player it works fine...

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:57 PM

apparently its looking fine on the device manager. tried to update but its up to date. on internet explorer, the sound works. on firefox, it doesnt for example when i use youtube. but if i watch a movie with windows media player it works fine...

Sounds like it is more of a browser problem. I would try and either repair or un-install/re-install firefox and go from there.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users