Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Over Current Error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kat91119

Kat91119

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:27 AM

So I have a new Dell that was shipped to me today. Its got Windows XP on it. I booted it up and right after the dell screen I get:

Keyboard Failure
USB Over Current Error
Press F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup

Which obviously I cannot do because the keyboard doesn't work. I called Dell and was on the phone with them for an hour. Got nowhere, just unplugged stuff and plugged it back in. They wanted me to go and find another keyboard to put in the tower, even asking me to go ask my neighbors.

They said it could be the motherboard or the keyboard, they won't know till I try to boot it up with a different keyboard. The keyboard I use on my other computer is not USB, so I can't try it. Not to mention on my sisters Dell you cannot use the keyboard I'm on, it won't recgonize it.

If I boot up the dell without a keyboard attached I get the same error, only it doesn't have the USB Over Current Error.

Has anybody come across this before and know a fix for it?

Its funny, they say these things are tested before they are shipped, I say thats BS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:12 PM

Not to mention on my sisters Dell you cannot use the keyboard I'm on, it won't recgonize it.

So does that mean your sister has a USB keyboard and your computer doesn't recognize it?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Kat91119

Kat91119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:02 PM

I'm sorry, that came out wrong.

My old computer is an HP. She had brought her computer over for me to attempt to fix. I tried using my HP keyboard on her Dell and it wouldn't work. No errors or anything, it just didn't register.

The HP keyboard is a PS/2 port I think is what they are called, and there are no ports on my new Dell for that, so I can't try my HP keyboard on the Dell. But because my HP didn't work on my sisters 1yr old Dell I was figuring that it probably wouldn't have worked in my new Dell.

In looking this error up on google, it seems a lot of dells get this problem :thumbsup: but nobody seems to know much more about it other then it possibly being the motherboard or the keyboard.

I asked my hubby to grab a USB keyboard from work, hopefully he will remember to get it and I can test out a new keyboard.

EDIT: Well, the good news is that my husband got a new keyboard and I am typing from the new computer ;) so it was just a keyboard thing.

Edited by Kat91119, 28 May 2008 - 05:00 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:29 PM

Good to hear
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users