Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got A Virus Through Msn...now Unsure Whether To Use Again

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Arrow92

Arrow92

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:23 AM

Well you see, the thing is, last time, about a month or two ago, i got a nasty virus through msn (a file my fren sent). After that using bleeping computer(yay!) i managed to solve the problem and everything is ok. Its just that im a wondering whether it is ok to use my msn again. Will the virus come back or anything like that? Wondering cause i so do not want to have to go through wat i went through last time.

Thanks!

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:09 AM

It was certainly not the MSN application that was the cause of your getting a virus, but an error in judgment about clicking on/downloading a file without carefully thinking about it and verifying its source. I am sure that, as we all do, you have learned the hard way about these files, so there is no reason not to use the IM.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 LynnKnows2

LynnKnows2

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:12 PM

Are you running any good anti-virus software?? :thumbsup: I know that there are some good free ones out there.. John nailed it- wasn't MSN that gave you the virus.. it was the file that you got!

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:15 PM

If you are still leery of MSN you might want to look at Trillian:

http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/learn/

It connects to the big 3 - MSN, Yahoo, and AIM.
And follow the good advice given...be careful what you click/download. :thumbsup:

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users