Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do You Retrieve Backup From Ext. Source

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:59 AM

Hi all.

I backed up all my programs to an external hard drive a few weeks ago. Since then my hard drived crashed and had to be replaced.

I've been able to retrieve some of my backup by clicking Send to... desktop or My Documents. But I can't see any way of re-installing my backed up Program Files (etc) from my E:/ ext hdd back into my C:/ local hard drive.

There simply isn't the option in the dropdown menu to send these to Program Files.

I'd appreciate any help.

I used EZBackitup.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:12 AM

Hello,

Did you move complete program folders to the external hard drive? If this is the case you may not be able to run these programs again as most programs instal parts of its programs in the windows directory and the registry.

The send to menu is usually the main entries that users need, If you want to move files to the program files folder you will need to open my computer-> C-> program files.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:53 AM

Hello,

Did you move complete program folders to the external hard drive? If this is the case you may not be able to run these programs again as most programs instal parts of its programs in the windows directory and the registry.

The send to menu is usually the main entries that users need, If you want to move files to the program files folder you will need to open my computer-> C-> program files.

To some extent this is true...You can move the program folders back to your C: drive by clicking on the program in the external drive and selecting "Move this folder" on the left pane. A drop down box will open asking you where you want to move it to. Choose C:/Program files and press OK. This may take some time depending how big the folder is. Once it is back on your C: drive, open it and double-click the set-up file to re-install. Again, this may take a while depending on the size of the program. This is a slow process but it can be done.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:34 AM

First open up My Computer then Drive C.

Right click on Program Files, when the menu opens choose Copy.

Next: Go to Start -> Run, type sendto and hit enter. This will bring you the sendto folder.
Paste Program Files into sendto.

You should now be able to send to Programs.

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:45 AM

I thought that he wanted to move them back from his external but either way your shortcut would definately work...Thanks...

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:51 PM

An alternate method would be to open up Program files on your external drive.
Choose what you want to move to the C drive, then on the left side of the page
under File and Folder Tasks, choose either move or copy this file.
You'll be able to specify where you want it to go.

#7 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:49 AM

You guys are brilliant. Thanks a heap for your generous help. I'm printing out this whole page and will follow your guides.

Much appreciated!

:thumbsup:

#8 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:42 AM

Doesn't EZBackItUp have a Restore or Recovery feature?

#9 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:24 PM

Doesn't EZBackItUp have a Restore or Recovery feature?

Excellent question, IsMe. No it doesn't.

I couldn't find anything referring to 'restore' in the EZBackitup toolbar.

Posted ImagePosted Image

However, I did find EZBackitup's FAQs site with this info:

Posted Image

I can't find 'Windows Explorer' in my system. I've got a few 'Windows' this and that - but not 'Explorer'.

And from what I understand from these instructions it seems that EZBackitup doesn't have its own retrieval system, and you're obliged to manually plod backwards and forwards copying files from the backed up location to the directories on your local disc C:.

Edited by Bone Idol, 29 May 2008 - 05:24 PM.

#10 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:39 PM

Windows Explorer can be found by Start>All Programs>Accessories> it will be in the drop down box...

#11 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:42 PM

Windows Explorer can be found by Start>All Programs>Accessories> it will be in the drop down box...

Crikey. You're right. :thumbsup:

Thanks Douglas.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:15 PM

You can also press the Windows key and the "E" at the same time to get at Windows Explorer
Or, you can go to run and type in "explorer" (without the quotes) and press Enter to get there
Lot's of other ways, but those are the most common.

Once you find the Windows Explorer as douglas martin suggested, right click on it and select "Send to desktop (create shortcut)". Then you'll have it easily accessible if you ever need it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:14 PM

All good advice, usasma. :thumbsup:

#14 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:15 AM

Somehow I've got things into a total mess. I've now got two My Documents, two My Pictures, two Program Files... and God knows what else.

Update: I've been sitting here for hours trying to sort out the scramble of duplicate files and folders and directories that are all over the place in my computer. Many refuse to be moved. Many refuse to be deleted. It's an absolute dog's dinner.

I'm going to save myself any more misery and just go and have the f***** Hard Drive wiped clean again.

Unbelievable.

Just paid $189 for a new hard drive last week when the one I was using crashed and burned. And now this crap.

Edited by Bone Idol, 30 May 2008 - 05:38 AM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:21 AM

Can you tell us exactly what you did...that resulted in what you call duplicates of system files?

Please be exact.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users