Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DirectX version 9

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wildchild1162

wildchild1162

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:54 PM

Hi all, I'm back again! I am running Windows98Se and have downloaded directx9; now some of the games won't work because it says I don't have the right drive. Is there anyway to get rid of this version and go back to DirectX8.1. Thank you for the help!
Wildchild

Tomorrow is a gift not a promise, so ride, live, love, laugh, and dance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:50 PM

Go to Start>Run and type dxdiag then run some of the tests to see if directX 9 is having problems with a specific part of your system. Let us know the results. I think its unlikely that directX would cause your games to search the wrong drive, are you sure nothing else has changed?

As to uninstalling I think the official message is that is "unsupported" but as a last resort there is something around called DXbustor I think. Usage is absolutely at your own risk though, I'm not recommending you use it.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 wildchild1162

wildchild1162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:07 PM

Hi Rimmer, this all started about a month ago when I did a system file checker and it moved some things around so now my digital camera won't work, etc. But the message I am getting from DirectX Diagnostic is hardware accelerated 3D8+ is not available because the display driver does not support it. Now my son's one on-line game Tibia still functions but when he downloaded something called Conquerer it would not work because of this.....any other suggestions? Thank you for your help. :thumbsup:
Wildchild

#4 wildchild1162

wildchild1162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:09 PM

Sorry but just thought that I should add that I can't take my system back to where it was before I ran that darn registry check because I had the aboutblank: hijack, also I bought the computer used so unfortunately I do not have the Windows98Se disc :thumbsup:
Wildchild

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:17 PM

It sounds like the error is a display driver problem. Right click 'My Computer' select 'properties' to bring up Device Manager and see if there are any :thumbsup: symbols against anything. Also make a note of your Display Adaptor type and search for the latest (Win98) version from the manufacturers website.

Even if you don't have the win98 CD the CAB files may be present on your PC under c:\cabs or c:\windows\options\cabs so if windows calls for the CD point it there.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 wildchild1162

wildchild1162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:05 AM

Good Morning Rimmer, no I don't have one of those icons but my display adapter is ATI 3D RagePro (ATIR3). Does this help at all? Thank you for your time! Also how do I look for the latest version.
Wildchild

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:47 AM

Hi again Wildchild,
The manufacturer of your display adaptor is ATI so you can go to www.ati.com and look for 'support' or 'downloads'. I've had a quick look and this seems to be the right driver for your card and operating system:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...dge&folderID=27

- click on the filename under 'Details' and save the file to your desktop or to a folder which you can easily find again. When it's finished downloading you double click the file and it should begin the driver installation process. It's a big file so I hope you have broadband!

#8 wildchild1162

wildchild1162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:49 AM

Hi Rimmer, darn I feel like a complete airhead here, I went to the website and hit software/drivers but which one do I download. And yes things download fast as I have a cable connection. Thank you.
Wildchild

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:57 AM

The link in my previous post should have taken you straight to the right page for your display adapter. Did you click the link?

Hmm, just checked the link and it doesn't go direct to the download, sorry.:thumbsup:
Click the link, then 'Windows98 Drivers & Software', then 'RAGE', then listed under 'RAGE PRO' is ' Windows 98*Grinler Display Driver version 4.13.2655' - click that and you end up where I thought I was sending you. Now click on the filename under 'Details' and save the file to your desktop or to a folder which you can easily find again. When it's finished downloading you double click the file and it should begin the driver installation process. :flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 05 April 2005 - 08:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users