Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connected To The Internet But Not Able To Access It...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:14 PM

Hello everyone,

Just recently I installed a copy of the Comodo Firewall Pro (version 3.0.22.349) and everything was working perfectly. About a week later I went over to a friends house and connected my laptop to his router for a LAN game and upon returning home found I could connect to my wireless router but was not getting any real internet access.

I know the problem is coming from the firewall because I have had the same problem with Zone Alarm in the past (I would just reformat in a fit of rage) and would like to find out how to fix this problem once and for all.

My computer is an
HP Pavilion which runs Windows XP Media Center Edition
512 MB RAM
Wireless Internet Card
Security software includes Comodo and Avira Anti-Virus.

Let me know if you need any more information and thanks in advance for the help! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:50 AM

Hello,

Comodo firewall can be a bit of a problem sometimes. Some troubleshooting is required here.
When you open up the firewall do you see the big green tick next to system status?
On the same page down near the bottom, how many files are waiting for your review?
Click on the firewall tab and on view firewall events could you list some of the applications that have been blocked?
Click on my network zones is your router listed there?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:00 PM

Hello Nigglesnush85,

There is a green check under system status.
There are 0 files wait for approval
The Firewall Events states "There are no items to show"
Under the My Network Zones option there is a Loopback Zone and the network wish I am connected to but and not getting any access to (it is named Local Area Network #1). I created this network when I first connected to it (the firewall brought up a box that asked if I would like to allow it into my trusted zone/all it to share computer resources).

I hope this helps!

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to be more dialup friendly. ~ Animal

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:41 PM

Everything looks normal so far,

Go to firewall->advanced->network security policy look for blocked applications, are there any system applications that are blocked?
Go to firewall->advanced->Firewall behaviour settings set the alert frequency level to high.
Do you have the defence+ turned on?

Could you view your defence events please are there any blocked?

You mention in your first post that you were not getting any real internet access. Can you go into a bit more detail about this?

Have you tried turning off the firewall and trying to connect? (be as fast as you can when trying this as you will be unprotected)
Regards,

Alan.

#5 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:52 PM

There are no blocked applications except for something under Comodo Firewall called Block and Log All Unmatching Results.
I changed the alert frequency (nothing happened so I'm hoping that's a good thing)
Defense+ is turned on.

In the bottom right hand corner the wireless internet icon shows me as connected to the internet. When I double click the icon it says Status:Connected, Signal Strength:Excellent (5 bars) and under activity it has ~100 packets sent and none received. When I do something like open my browser it sends out about 15 packets but does not return any. Imma go out on a limb here but is the firewall somehow blocking all incoming traffic or rerouting it incorrectly?

Thanks for working with me on this nigglesnush85!

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to be more dialup friendly. ~ Animal

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:59 PM

You could be right about the firewall blocking inbound traffic, however i'm starting to think it may be the router.

In the my network zones take note of the zones you have and then remove the zone for your connection. This will make comodo find it again after a restart and hopefully allow access.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

As a suggestion to reduce the unnecessary quotes and cluttering up of threads and making them almost unreadable. Please use the following guidelines:

When replying to a post, don't use the Reply button under the post, unless there is something specifically in the post, that you want to quote.

Use either the button at the top of the page labeled Add Reply, or one of the 2 buttons at the bottom of the page, labeled Fast Reply, and Add Reply.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:24 PM

Sorry Animal for flooding with quotes :flowers:

Back to nigglesnush85

I had that in mind as well but I tried connecting to some of my neighbors wireless networks and none of them seemed to "work" either (My computer connected but no information was received).

I already tried removing the network and reconnecting as well as reinstalling Comodo without solving the problem. I will try this again tomorrow though and post an update asap!

Once again thanks for stick this one out! :thumbsup:

#9 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

No luck with removing the zones (removing zones, connecting and restarting computer and trying to connect again).

If worse comes to worse I might just reformat my computer although I want to know how to fix this problem because I have had the same thing happen in the past with different firewalls I've used.

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:34 AM

It would be a shame to reformat the system at this point.

Go to start then run type cmd
type ipconfig /release
then
type ipconfig /flushdns
then
type ipconfig /renew

Use them in that order, basically it will disable your adaptor, clear the cache and renew your connection.
Regards,

Alan.

#11 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:50 PM

Finally got the internet problem worked out.
This is how I did it. First I uninstalled, rebooted my computer then reinstalled the firewall. When I was asked if I wanted to restart because the installation was finished and chose no. I then booted up the firewall, set the firewall and +defense to learning mode then rebooted.

Now another problem has arisen...
I can connect to my modem because my computer it set to auto connect to it, but there are no wireless networks showing up when I use the windows wireless connection tool. I know there should be some because I am about 2 feet away from the router and there is another router about 10 feet away from my current location that is always picked up.

I know the modem on the computer is turned on.
I know there are routers nearby that can be detected.

I think the firewall is once again responsible for this. Thanks for the help in advance! :thumbsup:

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:21 PM

I'm glad you fixed the problem. Re instaling the firewall must have patched over the problem.

About the new problem, Are the routers broadcasting their SSID?
XP sometimes does this, I have found that repairing the connection resolves it. Open control panel find network connections and open it, locate the adaptor in question and right click it and select repair from the menu. If it runs into problems it will let you know.
Regards,

Alan.

#13 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:58 AM

There's no actual problem with the connection. It just won't show any networks nearby.

There are 5 that usually come up but since I started to screw around with COMODO they all have seemed to disappear. I can connect to my router because all the info is presaved but it would be kind of nice to be able to use my friend's wireless internet when I'm over at their houses.

#14 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:30 AM

The firewall must be blocking system files, have you tried allowing microsoft in the defence and firewall?
Regards,

Alan.

#15 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:43 AM

Do you know what the process names are (which ones I should allow) or should I just let everything Microsoft through?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users