Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restarting Web Services After Using Combofix

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mikemck08

mikemck08

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:08 PM

My system was attacked by the braviax.exe trojan - I had avg antivirus and used it - it did not clean the trojan. After running the virus scan - i lost web services comletely, and could not get it to re-start. I then used combofix - and it did remove the virus, but now when i went to the network connection - and selected the repair tool - it still returns the error - TCP/IP failed to query - how can i get web services restarted ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:19 AM

Hello mikemck08, Welcome to Bleeping Computer :thumbsup:

First, I must say that ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer.

If you no longer have access to your Internet connection after running ComboFix, then try to reboot your computer. This step alone should fix the vast majority of issues with no Internet connection after running ComboFix. If you still do not have an Internet connection after rebooting then please perform the following steps:

1. Click on the Start button.
2. Click on the Settings menu option.
3. Click on the Control Panel option.
4. When the Control Panel opens, double-click on the Network Connections icon. If your Control Panel is set to Category View, then double-click on Network and Internet Connections and then click on Network Connections at the bottom.
5. You will now see a list of available network connections. Right-click on the connection for your Wireless or Lan adapter and right-click on it.
6. Click on the Repair menu option.

If no joy and you continue to connectivity problems,WinSock XP Fix can can cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or modifications of the Winsock settings.
Sometimes your Internet connectivity will get corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries.

Or you can try WinSock2 Fix, if that fix didn't work.
When you run either one it, click on ReG-Backup button first, to backup the registry, and then click on the Fix button.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 mikemck08

mikemck08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:43 AM

Ok- I have gone and run the both the winsock fix utilities - and still have the same problem -- TCP/IP querry error - I have tried to run the network connection repair - and also it seems web services is off and also will not re-start -- I have re-booted several times after each event -- my network connections says it is on and working - it still seems to be a winsock type error - in looking in the event log - many of the error files say files missing ?
what else can i do ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users