Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partially Lost Internet, Will Not Open Pages After Combofx

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zkristeen

zkristeen

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:37 PM

Hi!

Not sure if this will execute. I get so far and then when I enter something.... the pages
do not open. Almost like my pc lost the capability to finish what it started. Also
when I open my yahoo mail... there are letters but nothing shows up, blank pages.
I have another computer, and it will see the pages and execute any enters I make.
Only on this pc...the ability is gone. I redownloaded Java...no go. This all happened
when my pc was infected with a trojan. I used combofix...then all hell went lose. I did
a chkdsk and tried to repair my system. Don't know what to do.

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:55 PM

Combofix should not be used except under the supervision of a trained malware removal expert.

Try these fixes:

Log on as an administrator, go Start > Run and type: "cmd". In the window that appears type: "netsh winsock reset". When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Go Start > Run > type: "cmd" In the window that appears type: "ipconfig /flushdns". Close the command box.

Go Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item. Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically". Reboot. Warning: Some Internet Service Providers need specific DNS settings. You need to make sure that you know if such DNS settings are required before you make this change.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 zkristeen

zkristeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:49 AM

Thank you for you quick response. I was under supervion,... I guess no one is perfect. :thumbsup: But I did try your fixes.
Still have the problem. Now I did notice I am unable to log on to my router (netgear). And I still have some workgroup
network with my other pc. The 2nd PC is no longer accepted to share on this pc, but I can put shares into 2nd PC from
here. I have been locked out of my router for the time being.

Thank you again for your response. I appreciate this site so very much and your expertise.

Chris

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:57 AM

Hi!

Not sure if this will execute. I get so far and then when I enter something.... the pages
do not open. Almost like my pc lost the capability to finish what it started. Also
when I open my yahoo mail... there are letters but nothing shows up, blank pages.
I have another computer, and it will see the pages and execute any enters I make.
Only on this pc...the ability is gone. I redownloaded Java...no go. This all happened
when my pc was infected with a trojan. I used combofix...then all hell went lose. I did
a chkdsk and tried to repair my system. Don't know what to do.

Chris

This isn't the first time that Combofix has hosed a system...By your comment "repair my system" do you mean that you installed your XP CD and did a repair installation? If you didn't I would give that a try. Just put it in the tray and re-boot...
Follow the prompts...Don't use "R" when first prompted as this isn't what you want. Continue until you get to the point that set-up will ask you whether you want to do a repair or install fresh...Choose repair from that point...Doing this will not re-format your drive...You won't lose any programs or Data but it should restore your system back to an operable condition if it's capable of operating (hard ware issues).
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 zkristeen

zkristeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:27 PM

Actually...you were right. I didn't do the repair correctly with my xp cd. I redid it as you said
and all is back to normal. I suspect that it was something in the registry that was wiped clean (in browser).
Also, I am thinking that it wasn't the combfix, but ccclean (registry cleaner) and at that time
I wasn't being supervised. I managed to get rid of that system32 trojan (after many hours and days).
All is clean now. And up and running!!!

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!
I LOVE YOU GUYS!!

Chris

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:40 PM

Glad you got it running...

One caution though, ComboFix is a specialized tool that can do some serious damage to your system unless you absolutely know what you are doing.

CCleaner...It is another very powerful tool also. You need to be very careful with it as it can remove things in your registry that can do some serious damage as you may have found out on your own.
The experts here don't recommend it's use for that reason. That's all I'm going to say on the subject.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users