Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall Avg V7.5

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 weybrew

weybrew

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:41 PM

I recently uninstalled AVG antivirus v7.5 along with AVG/Ewido antimalware and AVG/Ewido rootkit. I want to install AVG v8, but when trying the install it hangs up on shellhook.dll, a remaining component of Ewido. I haven't found a way to get this out of the way so that I may install the new AVG version.

Can anyone help, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:01 PM

1) Click on the following link and download AVG to your desktop

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/us/frt/0

2) Double-click on the downloaded file to run it
3) AVG will present you with three options to choose from. Choose the Uninstall option to completely uninstall AVG

Add/Remove Components - choose if you want to add/remove some components or reinstall the entire AVG program
Repair installation - this option repairs or reinstalls missing or damaged components of AVG
Uninstall - this option removes the AVG program from your PC

4) Once the uninstall has completed, restart your computer. You can then proceed to install another antivirus or install AVG again.

You can also check AVG 7.5 Free Edition FAQ here which deals with the same subject: How to install/uninstall AVG Free Edition components?

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:30 AM

Reinstall AVG/Ewido, then uninstall in "Safe Mode".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 weybrew

weybrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:52 AM

Thanks for the above suggestions, but I can't reinstall as the AVG program hangs up on the old Ewido folder/files. Same problem with the safe mode uninstall ... the system thinks the old programs are gone so they don't show available to uninstall.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:08 AM

If not one else has any suggestions, please contact AVG Tech Support for assistance with this issue. I'm sure there are others who have experienced a similar problem and they may already have a solution.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 weybrew

weybrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:23 AM

Tech Support is only available for PAID versions as it requires a registration number. I've contacted Customer Service but it's been 4 days so ...

#7 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:07 AM

Are you getting any error messages when AVG fails to uninstall?

Try this Microsoft utility (Windows Installer CleanUp Utility): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

#8 weybrew

weybrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:53 PM

Are you getting any error messages when AVG fails to uninstall?

Try this Microsoft utility (Windows Installer CleanUp Utility): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Error screen just shows conflicting software as Ewido antimalware. Another AVG user suggested the registry edit action to remove the remaining Ewido software. I've done that and the AVG installer now shows conflicting software as "another antivirus program" which I'm assuming is the avast! I installed when the AVG failed.

I downloaded the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and it doesn't list anything Ewido available to uninstall.

Note: The old Ewido file remains, including shellhook.dll, and still resists all Delete attempts.

I'll try uninstalling avast! and see if AVG installs then.

Thanks for your reply.

#9 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:43 PM

I had a program file left over in My Computer / All Programs once after deleting same program through Add/Remove Programs list successfully I thought. When trying to delete it I couldn't until I opened the folder and deleted all the contents within one at a time. After doing this I found that I could delete the now empty folder without any problem. Don't know if this will work for you but it's worth a try.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users