Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with E drive (Win 98)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 newbeee

newbeee

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 02 April 2005 - 05:23 PM

When I put a CD into the tray, I go to my computer, E drive and double click and then I get the following E:\ is not accessible The device is not ready.
I'm trying to load software. What an I doing wrong or what should I do that's right???
Please help, it's not my computer.
It's an old compaq Persario 1510 with Windows 98.
Thank you,
Jerrie :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:35 PM

Hi Jerrie,

(Assuming that you have one hard drive and two cd drives installed {make sure you are looking at the correct drive d/e})

From what I gather, you can see the cd drive under my computer, so the computer knows you have a cd drive installed. Three things maybe wrong: Your CD drive maybe dirty, your cd drive maybe bad, or the disk you are using maybe bad. Do you ever see an access light come on when you try to use it? First, try another cd. It may just be a dirty or bad disk. Then try to blow into the drive with the drive door open to see if you can remove anything that is settled on the optical drive head. Otherwise, borrow or buy a cd drive cleaning disk... available at your favorite store for around $12. Try to read the disk again.
If it still doesn't work, you may just have a bad cd drive.

Let us know if this helps,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 04:30 PM

Thank you for responding. When I start up the computer, I get a yellow light that flashes 1 time briefly next to the CD Rom tray. I've tried different CDs and blew through the tray till I got a head rush. When I place a CD into the tray and close it, I can hear it trying to load just for a few seconds.
I then tried to creat a startup disk and received the folowing"Please insert the disk labeled 'windows 98 second edition CD ROM' and then click OK" If I click OK, I receive "The file'command.com' on Win98 Second Edition CD-ROM can not be found. Insert WIN98 Second Edition CD-ROM in the select drive & click OK"
All my friend has is a CD that says Microsoft Windows 98 second edition but nothing that addresses a CD-ROM.
When I go to "my computer", she has 'removable Disk (D:)' and (E)
Sorry if this sounds a bit confusing but I'm not a computer wiz-kid (just a little old lady trying to help a friend)
I did get a startup disk off another computer for WIN98.
Could I have jared something loose bringing this puter to my home?
I guess I'm stuck, can't do a clean install if I can't get E drive to work.
Any help will be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:
Thank you,
Jerrie
ps I really enjoy all the good info on BC

#4 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 05:20 PM

newbeee: Welcome to BC.

Just to be certain we are on the same page, are you saying that your computer will not respond to any CD whatsoever.....including, for instance, a store-bought music CD that you are certain works in other players?
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#5 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 06:16 PM

Thank you for your reply.
I get nothing, just tried Elvis on my WinMe and it plays fine but not on this Win98. Am I suppose to get a continuse yellow blinking lite next to tray when a cd is loading? I just get a flash of yellow when 98 boots up.
I check device manager, CDROM, it says MITSUMI CD-ROM FX322M !B
under settings>options the following two are checked 'Disconnect and Auto insert notification'.
If I try to update driver, the 'specify a location' has preselected C:\drivers\7503018 and then it tells me that the best driver Windows found is already installed for this device. Location of driver:C\WINDOWS\INF\MSCDROM.INF.
I'm totally lost.
I did try SFC and it identified the following file may be corrupted file:setup.dll
Location:C\windows\system. Could that have anything to do with this problem or is that a new topic? :thumbsup:
Thank you very very much
Jerrie

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 06:24 PM

Hold up your right hand and repeat after me...
I accept the challenge of fixing this problem.

You are hearby this day offically a computer person on the same trainning level as the rest of us... and that is we are all still learning.

First let me say that you are already ahead of the game because you have taken that step and tried to make it work.

Now, you lost me a little... that's easy with me :thumbsup:

Do you have a running copy of Windows 98 on your computer and are able to try another cd, or is this a fresh Windows 98 install and you are stuck because the cd wont read correctly?

When I start up the computer, I get a yellow light that flashes 1 time briefly next to the CD Rom tray.

This sounds to me that the CD drive knows something is being inserted into it and is trying to access it. It still maybe any of the mentioned things from the first note. The process of elimination applies here. Are you able to try another cd to see if that is the problem? I would still buy a cd drive cleaner. They are handy to have around.

Let us know,

Rigel

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 06:29 PM

We both were responding at the same time. My best guess is the drive is dirty. Try a CD drive cleaner from your choice of electronics store. If that doesn't fix it you may need a new drive.

MSCDROM.INF is the MS driver that allows the cd to work. If you know of someone else who has 98 se, you can grab the file from them and try it.

Rigel

#8 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 06:41 PM

newbeee: I'm a lightweight around here; Rigel is a heavyweight....listen to him.

I agree that a CD drive cleaner is a good thing to have around. But also note that a brand new basic CD-RW will cost you less than $30.00. You can go here for examples. I just installed one I found at Best Buy which netted-out at about $22.00 after a mail-in rebate. Installation was a snap and I'm a klutz. Also a good opportunity to open up that tower and chase out the dust bunnies.

If you decide that you need a new CD-RW, post back and one of us can walk you through the process.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#9 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 06:45 PM

I'm back,
I will get a cleaner tomorrow and give it a try.
I'm a bit confused when you (Rigel) suggested to "grab the file from another 98 system and try it"
I'm not real sharp with computer lingo, what am I suppose to grab,how do I grab it and then what do I do with it. :thumbsup:
Thanks for you patients,
Jerrie

#10 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 06:49 PM

newbeee: Looks like a bad link in my last post. Try this one.

If that doesn't work, cut and paste: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?...property&DEPA=1

Good luck.

#11 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 07:22 PM

I'm sorry newbeee,

I'm a bit confused when you (Rigel) suggested to "grab the file from another 98 system and try it"

You can go to another persons computer with the same version of Windows 98 that you have and copy the driver file "C\WINDOWS\INF\MSCDROM.INF" or MSCDROM.INF and place it on your computer. This should be the same driver as you have on your computer. Just remember to copy it to your computer in the same place it is looking for it>> "C\WINDOWS\INF\MSCDROM.INF"

Before you do that, try cleaning it.

Twinsdad makes a great point. The cost of cd drives is so cheap that you can replace one for 10 - 20 dollars more than the cost of a cleaner. In that case you will have a new drive that is faster than your old one.

Rigel

#12 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:26 PM

Hmmm confusing...CD drive is normally D?Unless theres a boot floppy in A,
which shifts every drive up a letter(except C).Are you booting from a floppy or
is there one in floppy drive?Scratched or dirty disks wont play.Laser lens could
be dirty,cleaning disk is a good idea.Try this for entertainment-;Go to Control
Panel,Device Manager;click the dvd/cd-rom drive.Click Properties,Settings& in
Options make sure Auto Insert Notification has been ticked.But it sounds as if
the CD Drive is not being recognised.More research needed. :thumbsup:

#13 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:43 PM

Sorry Newbie,also while in device manager etc, clickCD/ Properties and see if
"This Device is Working Properly" comes up;or if an error is reported-should also
tell you drive letter.On my CD ,the GREEN light is constant while reading CD,or
intermittent if theres a problem with CD(usually needs clean or is scratched)!

#14 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:05 PM

I've tried different CDs and blew through the tray till I got a head rush.

Here's an idea: next time, try canned air. Spit's a bit tough on the laser lens. :thumbsup:

Also, is there a program associated with the drive? Can you open Media Player, for instance, and then open a music CD from there?

#15 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:54 AM

Thank you everyone for helping me. I've been on the De_l forum 3 years with my WinMe system and never had such great response.

Rigel; thank you for your explaination . I'm going out today and get a cleaner ,a can of compressed air and a new CD Drive. You &/or twinsdad may have to walk me thru tearing everything apart and putting it back together(this is going to be so much fun) :thumbsup:

Deodar: I'm guessing that at one time this system may have had a external drive creating removable disk (D:)????? (I'm just guessing, is that possible)
I've done everything with device driver, if you can read my 3rd post, I explain what all I did. I get a qucik amber flash when I boot up .The lite is directly below the CD Tray,between the eject button and the volumn guide.

Herk: first I placed a cd in the computer,I found Media Player, went to file>open>browse>(E:) and received the same old message 'E:\ is not accessable. The device is not ready'

For the heck of it, would one of you go to my computer>try to open your floppy drive (with no floppy in it) and tell me if you receive A:\ is not accessable. The device is not ready. If you do, that's the same message I receive for E drive

I shall return,
Jerrie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users