Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown files in WIN ME System

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yogivarun

yogivarun

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 02 April 2005 - 05:19 PM

:thumbsup:

Hi All,

1. I have the following three DAT files on the C drive of my WIN ME system:

AVG6DB_F -1.56 KB
AVG6DB_N -33.9 KB
AVG7DB_F -2.37 MB

2. I also have the following file in - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE which is also configured to run at startUp via MSCONFIG(presently disabled)

Could someone help me as to what these files may possibly be and whether these could be safely removed or not.

Thanks in advance.

Whatever Life takes away from you, let it go.

When you surrender and let go of the past,

you allow yourself to live in the moment.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 02 April 2005 - 06:49 PM

:thumbsup:

Hi All,

1. I have the following three DAT files on the  C drive of my WIN ME system:

AVG6DB_F -1.56 KB
AVG6DB_N -33.9 KB
AVG7DB_F -2.37 MB

2. I also have the following file in - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE which is also configured to run at startUp via MSCONFIG(presently disabled)

Could someone help me as to what these files may possibly be and whether these  could be safely removed or not.

Thanks in advance.

The AVG files are database files for AVG antivirus. The "KB" file is a Windows Update which sometimes causes problems in ME and "Microsoft is working on it." But it is a normal file, used to repair a hole that can be exploited, and it also runs as a process. They're all good. Odd, though, on my ME machine, KB891711 is in the C:\Windows\System folder.

If you have trouble with the Windows Update, you can go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and uninstall it, but leave it alone otherwise.

#3 yogivarun

yogivarun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 04:40 AM

Hi Herk,

Thanks for the prompt response.

1. I did once have AVG AV but uninstalled it long back.These files appear to be remnants of that.So, I can safely delete these ,isn't it.

2. KB 891711.EXE resides in a folder of the same name in my ME OS. This folder also contains "Q891711.DLL". However , I do WIN updates manually and have,in fact,disabled automatic updates.Do I require to keep these for manual updates.Pl do confirm.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 03 April 2005 - 11:03 AM

1. I did once have AVG AV but uninstalled it long back.These files appear to be remnants of that.So, I can safely delete these ,isn't it.

Yes, if you no longer have AVG, the database files won't do you any good. You can safely delete them.

2. KB 891711.EXE resides in a folder of the same name in my ME OS. This folder also contains "Q891711.DLL". However , I do WIN updates manually and have,in fact,disabled automatic updates.Do I require to keep these for manual updates.Pl do confirm.

Yes, the update is a file that actually runs to protect your system. You need to keep it unless it's causing more problems than it's solving. (For instance, if your system keeps crashing because of it.) And if you wanted to get rid of it, you should go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and remove it from there. If you remove the file or the folder for KB891711, it will no longer protect you from the exploit.

#5 yogivarun

yogivarun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:28 PM

Thanks. Absolutely no problems with the file.Was just trying to find and remove the seemingly non-nonessentials. Glad that I sought confirmation before taking any action.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users