Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tv Card

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 longhaireddwb

longhaireddwb

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:20 AM

I'm thinking about connecting my cable TV signal to my computer by using the coax cable so that I can record the TV shows I miss because I started working the grave yard shift. I have a cable modem on my computer desk because thats how I'm connected to the internet. I am computer challenged :thumbsup: but understand enough to get myself in trouble. So I guess what I'm asking is which card would be recommended for this? I've tried to read up on a couple different cards but I don't understand most of it. I'd like to keep the price down. I also am going to hook up my TV to my computer so I can watch those recorded shows on a large screen and not my monitor. A friend is going to give me a video card that has both connections on it. The one type for the monitor and a HDMI to connect my TV.

I'm not really looking to put shows onto disc but that option would be a nice plus.

Please help this old guy to understand what I need. Thanks for the help. Jerry...

BTW, I have a Dell Dimension E510 computer with windows XP. and all the updates (sp-2)? Like I said I'm not a computer guy! Thanks again!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:27 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Simply put, you need:

a. An analog capture card to receive the TV signal. Note that this capture will be restricted to the 99 cable channel numbers normally obtained and will not necessarily include any digital channels. Of course, there is a way around that, but let's confine ourselves to the basics right now.

b. A splitter to split the cable signal into two components, one going directly to your TV or digital box...one going to your computer capture card.

c. A very large (more than 120GB) hard drive, if you intend to capture routinely. Capture files of video tend to be rather large before editing. SATA hard drives are ideal, but 7200 IDE/PATA drives work well.

d. A program to edit out commercials, if you are like me and cannot stand such :flowers:. If you are not going to edit, then skip this.

e. You need to decide whether you are going to save these captured programs...or just watch them and then delete them. If you are going to save them, you will need to increase your storage capabilities.

I have several analog capture cards, but I only use two: an AIW 9600 and a Haupaugge Win TV Go-Plus, http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_goplus.html . I think I like the Hauppauge card better (fewer issues with drivers/software), but I tend to use the ATI AIW more now because I disconnected the other card (I have two desktops).

Going back to capture of digital stations...if you have a set-top box (I do), then capturing channels which are digital is easy. Rather than setting the splitter at the cable entrance, you merely place it at the point of output from the set-top box. When you want to capture from a digital station, you just set the computer card software to channel 3/4...and use the card like a VCR. The negative aspect of this is that the card captures whatever is on the TV screen at that time.

Analog capture cards are cheaper than cards which allow capture from digital sources.

If you provide the manufacturer and model of the card you are going to use, we can explore all your alternatives.

Louis

#3 Chuck_Knull

Chuck_Knull

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:47 AM

Hi, I have tried to do what you want to do with several video capture cards. I had very bad luck with video until I got an ATI All-in-Wonder graphics card. I have the 2006 PCI express with 256 mb of onboard ram. I would also recommend a fairly fast CPU and at least 1 Gb of system ram. Even with the All-in-Wonder I was still having some troubles with my 2.4 Ghz Pentium 4 and 512 mb of DDR system ram. It definetly worked better after I bumped the system ram up to 1 Gb. Good luck.
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

ASUS P5K SE, Core2duo E8500, 4 Gb 800Mhz DDR2, Seagate 1 Tb SATA, Hitachi 1 Tb SATA, LG BDDVDRW 6x Blu-Ray ATI All-in-Wonder HD, 24 inch SOYO wide format LCD Monitor, X-Fi Platinum, Logitech Z-5500 Speaker System

#4 longhaireddwb

longhaireddwb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for the info on this guys. I believe this is what I have for memory. Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz, 0.99 GB of Ram. and I've been running this for two years. Do you think I need more to do what I want to do? I will do some more searching on the cards and let you all know what I'm going to do before I go spending any money. Thanks for the help and I'll talk with you again. Jerry...

#5 Chuck_Knull

Chuck_Knull

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:22 PM

I believe that should work fine. Of course system ram is about the least expensive hardware. And you sure get the most out of it, so the more the better, generally speaking.
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

ASUS P5K SE, Core2duo E8500, 4 Gb 800Mhz DDR2, Seagate 1 Tb SATA, Hitachi 1 Tb SATA, LG BDDVDRW 6x Blu-Ray ATI All-in-Wonder HD, 24 inch SOYO wide format LCD Monitor, X-Fi Platinum, Logitech Z-5500 Speaker System

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:24 PM

I agree with CK, you need more RAM...and you need to remind yourself that a defragged hard drive will give you fewer problems when trying to capture video to it.

RAM is the best (IMO) investment any user makes on a PC, simply put.

I have 1.5 GB in one system and 2 GB in the other. Whatever software you use...will indicate minimum amount of RAM required, don't settle for the minimum.

The most important factor: Read, shop, utilize all the info available on several products...before you spend money.

ATI and Hauppauge are the two reliable names which I think are not severely overpriced, yet reliable...and which produce quality cards.

There's a lot of info on video capture available...just take some time and read some of it, before leaping :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 longhaireddwb

longhaireddwb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:34 PM

Thanks guys! I'll check into adding some more RAM when I buy the card. I was checking out this one as stated above: Hauppauge WinTV-Go-Plus Tuner Card. It sounds like its got everything I could want to do and the price is OK too. It says its the Canada version? Does that matter? I'll be buying threw newegg for sure. I guess I shuold open up the case on my computer and find out if I have a place to add the extra RAM and the Tuner Card. I was in there once before replacing the disc drives but that was a year ago and THIS memory is only as long as my ----! Ha, Ha...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users