Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Increasingly Slow Laptop, Can't Even Play Original Nwn

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest Eh?

Guest Eh?

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:31 AM

My HP Pavillion ze4800 notebook has been running increasingly slow, and now it won't even play the original NeverWinter Nights.. the recommended specs for this game are Pentium III 800 MHz or AthlonTM 800 MHz, 128 MB RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce 2/ATI Radeon

and my specs..
WindowsXP Home SP2
mobile AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 2.12 GHz
448 MB of RAM [unsure as to why it displays 448 and not 512]
Radeon IGP 320M

I have done EVERYTHING in the Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First thread.. didn't speed it up one bit or help gaming.
Any video driver I find for my IGP 320M seem to just slow it down even more, so I'm running the most recent release for my notebook on the hp website.

Completely stumped as to what I should do, or can do.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:11 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer!

The game should be running pretty smoothly. The only things I can think of is that you have: 1. A virus or other spyware/malware. 2. Overheating.

You may want to take a look in the Virus/Spyware section of these forums to get help. Also, for overheating, it would probably help to blow out the dust built up inside the laptop. Canned air is a good tool to use. Just spray some into opened air vents in the laptop to unclog the dust bunnies.

The reason your computer only says it has 448mb of ram is because the other 64mb is being used for your graphics card. This helps games run smoother.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:08 PM

Is this slowness only found in playing games, or do you have a sense that other applications are also slowing down?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Guest Eh?

Guest Eh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:27 PM

@Sterling14
I'm almost positive that I have no viruses, I've ran just about every scanner possible and they alllllllllllll come up clean. Would posting a hijackthis log possibly help (incase there's something the scanners missed)? I'll also try using a dust remover soon.

@jgweed
The overall performance has decreased dramatically since I came into ownership of the notebook. Though startup doesn't take quiet as long (removed many unnecessary startup items), it still runs agonizingly slowly when I try nearly ANY actions whatsoever, even right clicking on my desktop takes 7-8 seconds before it comes up some times. I have found out that after doing a certain action (right clicking my desktop, opening files etc) it can repeat the action quickly for say a minute after I do it.

#5 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:04 AM

I'd try running a disk cleanup and defragging it. may not help a lot but it never hurts

#6 Guest Eh?

Guest Eh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

@smurfgod
I've ran disk cleanups, dskchks, as well as ccleaner and atf cleaner with no changes in performance

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:04 PM

Open up Task Manager (press CTRL, ALT, DELETE at the same time to open it). From there click the Processes tab. How many processes do you have running? What is your CPU usage and memory usage? Do you notice any programs using up a bunch of CPU usage or memory usage?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 Guest Eh?

Guest Eh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:32 PM

@sterling
When nothing is running, cpu usage usually stays between 2-4%. There are only a few processes that take alot of mem usage such as TeaTimer.exe [Spybot S&D] 30,000k, avgsrx [avg] 26,000k, explorer.exe 17,000k, svchost.exe 17,000k, and MsMpEng.exe [Windows Defender] 10,000k. All other processes are below 10,000. Without programs I have 43 processes running. My commit charge is 367M / 1528M.

Edited by Guest Eh?, 28 May 2008 - 05:34 PM.

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:58 PM

Well I'm out of ideas except for overheating. Let me know how the cleaning goes! By the way, make sure your not blocking the fan on the laptop. The fan is usually located on the bottom of the laptop, and many people will block the fan especially if they have the laptop on their lap.

#10 Guest Eh?

Guest Eh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:11 PM

@Sterling14
I think I'm just damned to a slow laptop.. I nearly completely disassembled it last night and used a compressed air dust remover to clean it out, still not noticing any speed increases. I can almost live with the slowness, I'm just confused/frustrated as to why I can't play even the lowest system demanding games :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest Eh?, 28 May 2008 - 06:12 PM.

#11 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:23 PM

Well I'm afraid I am out of good ideas. Here's one last suggestion though, and you may not like it and thats alright.

I think after a few years, its good to maybe just reformat your hard drive and reinstall windows. I've done this on a few computers before and can't believe how much faster they go! It's like the computer is brand new again! This will completely wipe your hard drive and do a fresh install of Windows. Of course you can always back up your important data such as music pictures, and other documents onto discs and other drives.

This is up to you though. It takes some time doing this, but if you really want the computer working better this is the only thing I can think of.

#12 Guest Eh?

Guest Eh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:29 PM

@sterling
I appreciate all of your help :thumbsup: I'm really considering reformatting, little worried about drivers required for onetouch [touchpad] etc.. When I come up with 100$ that I don't need I'll look into getting a new windows xp home.

#13 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:44 PM

Hi Guest,
just wondering, can you increase the amount of RAM? You only have 512, that's kinda the minimum for XP to run decent. If you can put another 512 in it would probably help. My Acer laptop only had 512, I put in 1 gig and it runs a lot faster than before. Just a thought... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#14 Guest Eh?

Guest Eh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:01 AM

@Wildabeast
Good suggestion, if I ever get around to reformatting I'll look into getting more ram. Thanks! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users