Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Editors

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kaminka

kaminka

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:10 PM

Have tried just about everything recommended to improve performance and am at my wits end. Does anybody have good advice regarding reg editors? Don't want to start monkeying with the registry and really mess things up! I ran a scan with RegCure and it posted over 1200 errors but am not about to buy a product I am unsure of. Anything free out there?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:24 PM

Most people here, including me, don't recommend using registry cleaners. They can delete things that can cripple your computer. I've done it to mine a few times. But, if you feel you need to do something there is THIS SITE which is Micro$oft's One Care that will go through your registry. Since it is their program, XP, it might be OK. But I'm not endorsing it. It too might do something wrong. I've used it a couple of times and so far nothing bad has happened.
You can also click on Start, Run and do a sfc /scannow it will run a check on your system files and repair or replace them. You must have your XP disc in and sit there while it's running, because it won't always find the file it's looking for and you need to click on the "retry" button. It takes about 40 to 45 minutes on my computer...
I'm sure someone else will come along with more advice soon and you can ponder all of it and decide what to do, or not do.
Good Luck... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:31 PM

Hello kaminka and welcome to BC :thumbsup:

Here is what jgweed has to say about cleaning the registry:

Cleaning up registry entries really will not do much good, and the potential for harm far outweighs what little benefit in operating speed you might receive. I do, however, routinely scan my hard drive for folders that remain after I use "add/delete programs" and erase those, as well as other dregs; while this doesn't directly speed up your computer, it does improve the scanning speed of AV and AS applications, and more directly once you defrag a relatively "clean" hard drive it effects your OS.

My own experience with XP after two years of very hard use, is that doing routine maintenance will avoid any sort of re-installation, and every time I have "cleaned out" my registry (I have experimented twice with cleaners), I have lived to regret it.
Cheers,
John

I played with a registry cleaner once and even being careful, I borked my Adobe Suite. Fortunately, I had backed up all the keys and was able to restore them.

You may wish to read post 1 here also concerning registry cleaners: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015

To improve performance, and I'm assuming here you mean the speed of the computer, please go through and read this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44693/slow-computer/ I assure you it helps. It's one of the first things I did after I found this site, and I was impressed with the results.

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 kaminka

kaminka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:35 AM

Thank you for your quick response. I was afraid to start tampering with the registry for those very reasons. I just wan't sure about the cleaners available. I actually discovered that my son had Limewire in the startup menu and when I disabled that, it made a remarkable difference! I do regular maint. on the pc..usually spend a few hours...but nothing was making much of a change until I had a look at the startup. There were a few others in there that I didn't need so removed them as well.
I'm glad I found this site. I'm sure it will be quite useful for future probs. Thanx again to you all.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,994 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:15 PM

Glad I could help kaminka. :flowers: BC is a gold-mine of information. I'm still learning things here. See you around the boards.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 Chuck_Knull

Chuck_Knull

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:31 PM

Hi Kaminka. I guess I'm one of the few here who do like to try to keep a clean registry. First, you don't want a Registry Editor that is for other purposes. Try a Google search for "registry cleaner freeware". It's

absolutely essential that you backup your registry before using a registry cleaner. For most users the easiest way to do this is to create a system restore point. An even better way is to use a drive-imaging

program like Norton Ghost to create a snapshot of Windows, which you can use for system recovery if needed. Ezcleaner is ok. JV16 is for PowerUser's only. I think CCleaner is the best of the freeware. What do

I use? Tuneup Utilities! It has several other uses that I really like but a major drawback is that it costs $49.95 which is a lot of money to me. But I really think it helps my computer. My problems are caused by

not being able to resist a free program download. :thumbsup: I used to have to reinstall Windows every few months. I have well over 100 programs installed. Everything from 250 kb standalone apps. to MS

Office 2000 nearly 400 mb.

Hope you found this helpful. Chuck
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

ASUS P5K SE, Core2duo E8500, 4 Gb 800Mhz DDR2, Seagate 1 Tb SATA, Hitachi 1 Tb SATA, LG BDDVDRW 6x Blu-Ray ATI All-in-Wonder HD, 24 inch SOYO wide format LCD Monitor, X-Fi Platinum, Logitech Z-5500 Speaker System

#7 Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:16 AM

I have heard and read about many people not recommending reg cleaners and I read somewhere a while back, the best registry cleaner is NO registry cleaner.
Everyone has their own opinion and comfort zone as to using or not using them.
I occasionally use CCleaner with no adverse effects, I also use on a regular basis Iobit's Advanced WindowsCare. What I like about AWC is that it is safe to use and it does have an automatic backup, just in case. I have had no problems using either one and they are both free.

Hope this helps,

Don

Edited by Adamsappleone, 28 May 2008 - 03:17 AM.

Multi-Boot, Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8 Pro x64

Posted Image

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:50 PM

The whole thing about registry cleaners is...we have users who don't even update their versions of Windows or maintain their systems...or who even want to use Google to try solve problematical situations...and yet some of these seem to think of registry cleaners as the panacea for all computer-related problems.

They are not, just as no other program or type of program...is any cure for situations that can be handled by a little research, maintenance, safe computing practices, and backing up routinely.

A registry cleaner is a tool, just as a drill or chainsaw might be considered a tool. In the hands of a person who doesn't bother to read/follow instructions...the result is likely to be less than savory.

I believe that, for this reason...no one should consider using a powerful tool like that...who is not willing to undertake the requisite procedures to minimize the chance for...self-inflicted wounds which may prove fatal to system operations.

FWIW: I have a program, jv16 PowerTools, which is much more than a registry cleaner (but it also has that function). I use it when I feel the need/desire to do so, confident that I am now experienced enough with my two systems...to avoid self-inflicted wounds or at least be able to recover easily from such, should they result.

For those who consider themselves of a similar mentality/knowledge/experience level...a program described as (among other things) a "registry cleaner" is no big thing. For all others, it's a case of "caveat emptor", with the replacement of "buyer" with "user."

Louis

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:41 PM

Can you restore your registry if Windows won't boot?
If not, then how'd you like learn it the very first time on your primary (or only) system?
I do it at work occasionally, and it only works about 1/2 the time - not real good odds IMO

The post at WindowsBBS that Orange Blossom linked to does a very good job of explaining why registry cleaners aren't necessary.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users