Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hdd Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 coolking13

coolking13

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:05 PM

ive got a Western digital eide hard drive. i was wondering if there was any hope in geting any information from my hd, because it started making clicking sounds that imo are the bar/head that gos accross the platters reading/writing. i just hear it click back each way. i dont think i could recover any information but i just thought id ask. thanks for any help. let me know if you need more info

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:21 PM

That clicking sound is known as the click of death. If the hdd is dead there are some very expensive measures that can be taken to recover your data. There is one method that may give it one last gasp, place the hdd in a zip-lock baggy and place it in the freezer for about twenty minutes, make sure it is dry, and reinstall it. Freezing it compresses the disc and may allow it to spin free one last time.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:29 AM

If this is a desk top computer you can slave it to another hard drive, or you can purchase a USB external enclosure and access the files that way. Either way, don't power up the drive any more than is necessary

For the ziplock baggie trick, double-bag it

Edited by garmanma, 27 May 2008 - 07:31 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 coolking13

coolking13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:04 PM

cool thanks ill give it a try

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users