Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Cpu Usage After Reformatting My Laptop

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 grynhild

grynhild

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:51 PM

hi there. am new here and i am really hoping to receive good help.

i have a fujitsu c1211d laptop. i think about 2 years old. using XP SP2, pentium m processor 1.6GHz, 599MHz, 1G ram, 80G HDD partitioned into two with C: 30G (where OS is) and D: with the rest. i just reformatted my laptop yesterday hoping to clean everything that isnt supposed to be there. i havent transferred old files yet. all the laptop has is 5GB worth of programs and OS altogether in the C drive. it now has AVG free, spyware doctor, ms office 2003, yahoo messenger and basic XP setup with IE7. but still my CPU is usually at 20% usage. what am i doing wrong? can i still make my laptop work better than this?

- grynhild

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:07 PM

In the Task Manager, under the Processes Tab, what process is using the most CPU?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 grynhild

grynhild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:27 PM

iexplorer.exe with 62,744K mem usage. then followed by avgrsx.exe with 48,164K.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:30 PM

The column to the left of Mem Usage is CPU. What process is using the most CPU (apart from the System Idle Process)?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 grynhild

grynhild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:34 PM

iexplorer.exe with 62,744K mem usage. then followed by avgrsx.exe with 48,164K. also, i dont know if this is normal but i get a lot of drwtsn32.exe with 2,752K listed in the processes. like about at least 40 of it.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:22 AM

Multiple instances of drwtsn32.exe can be a symptom of a virus/malware infection. Have you done any virus scans recently, and if so what was the result?

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 grynhild

grynhild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:04 AM

sorry for replying late. i was just waiting for xp updates to finish installing and it took some time. the cpu usage is still quite high though even after finishing all the update installations. i will be running an avsw scan and see if it improves the state afterwards. thank you very much. i'll get back to you soon.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:09 AM

When you reinstalled XP, did you reinstall the drivers for the laptop? To check, go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Let us know if you find any devices with red x's or yellow !'s.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 grynhild

grynhild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:31 AM

i just ran the anti-virus scan and it said there isnt any infected but there were several warnings of adwares and trojans all associated with activex controls and were all moved to virus vault. i checked my device manager and there are no X's nor !'s. i believe i installed all drivers as it came bundled with the recovery disc. i still experience some spikes on cpu usage (like between 34%-78%) while using yahoo messenger and one browser. but it is usually on 5%-14% usage now. is that all better?

#10 grynhild

grynhild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:38 AM

system idle process uses CPU form range of 85-97. then next comes iexplorer.exe that uses 02 and taskmgr.exe with 08

In the Task Manager, under the Processes Tab, what process is using the most CPU?

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:40 AM

If you're using AVG Free v8 and another anti-spyware program like SpyBot or SpyWareBlaster, this is a false positive that's been showing up. It happened on my wife's system the other day - and the only things that AVG had discovered were the ActiveX components and cookies.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 grynhild

grynhild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:14 AM

should i still suspect that my system's got virus? what avsw do you suggest i use? or should i not worry anymore?

#13 kalpia

kalpia

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:26 AM

If you recently reformatted your HD then you should NOT have any viruses or spyware unless they were on your recovery disk (doubtful). Without going on the Internet and just running a basic program like Word (just open it don't use it) does your system seem slow? What is the CPU usage? If so what programs are using the most CPU cycles? Once you install your antivirus and get all of the updates and go on the Internet have you done a speed test? What's your CPU usage after the test? It should be low (Idle 95%+, IE 2 or 3%), if it isn't there's a Swede in the wood pile and you'll have to find it. I would try disabling/stopping programs that you know aren't needed also check you startup menu to seem what's being loaded that isn't needed.

Keep us posted.
To error is human, to forgive is against company policy

#14 grynhild

grynhild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:45 AM

i changed the spyware doctor i had. i'm thinking the programs running in the background is the one making my system slow. i will try and observe how this will make my system react. thank you very much for the help. :thumbsup:

#15 grynhild

grynhild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:20 PM

for the kind people who tried to help me.

i just reformatted my system again and this time, i didn't make 2 partitions. and i tried to DL all windows updates first before installing any other softwares. the windows updates installed quick this time (it may be possible that there was an error in installing the updates before that's why it's not letting my system function well). so far, my system's performance is much better than it was a few days ago. hopefully i've resolved the problem completely. thank you very much for the help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users