Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Is The Worst Computer Infection?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 flashystunnaboy

flashystunnaboy

• Banned
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:22 PM

which do you think is the worst computer infection

spyware-adware-trojan-dialer-rootkit-virus-keylogger-worms

i personally think trojans are the worst, most people will say virus are but i disagree, dont know why just do, they are the most often spread :thumbsup:

(Moderator edit: clarified Topic Title. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 28 May 2008 - 08:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:28 PM

Well I think they're all bad. I wouldn't want to get infected with any of those malwares. Well the worst infection you can have is a rookit for me. I personally think that they are just dangerous. They don't appear as much as viruses but if you do get infected that would be scary. Rookits hides away and that you can't even see it. So I definatly wouldn't want to be infected with a rookit.

Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:49 PM

I would also say Rootkits and Backdoors

A rootkit is a collection of tools (programs) that enable administrator-level access to a computer or computer network. Typically, a cracker installs a rootkit on a computer after first obtaining user-level access, either by exploiting a known vulnerability or cracking a password. Once the rootkit is installed, it allows the attacker to mask intrusion and gain root or privileged access to the computer and, possibly, other machines on the network.

A backdoor in a computer system (or cryptosystem or algorithm) is a method of bypassing normal authentication, securing remote access to a computer, obtaining access to plaintext, and so on, while attempting to remain undetected. The backdoor may take the form of an installed program (e.g., Back Orifice), or could be a modification to an existing program or hardware device.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backdoor_(computing)
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 3xist

3xist

• Banned
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:18 AM

I would definitely say Rookits are the worst infection. They use malware to hide from "detection" (signature based mechanism) Anti-virus/Anti-spyware software, So you really need to have a strong Firewall & a good setup... Especially in our days... Increasing number of malware is growing.

Josh

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:08 AM

Mebroot is a Trojan horse that overwrites the Master Boot Record of the hard disk and uses rootkit techniques to hide itself.

System Management Mode (smm) Rootkit runs in a protected part of a computer's memory that can be locked and rendered invisible to the operating system.

Virut/Virtob is a file infector virus with IRC bot functionality which infects all .exe and .scr files, downloads more malicious files to your system, and opens a back door that compromises your computer. In many cases the infected files cannot be deleted and anti-malware scanners cannot disinfect them properly. When disinfection is attempted, the files become corrupted and the system may become irreparable.

Edited by quietman7, 27 May 2008 - 10:08 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:36 AM

I would say rootkit too is the the worst.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:44 AM

The most insidious of Virii, is user ignorance and apathy. Because all that does is continue to spread and manifest whatever crapware there is in existence.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:07 PM

The most insidious of Virii, is user ignorance and apathy. Because all that does is continue to spread and manifest whatever crapware there is in existence.

must admit I thoroughly agree with this

when you look around different sites and forums and see how some folks 'treat' their machines? the users themselves are a danger to the computer and they could not give a monkeys about any computer health and hygiene ....let alone speading the infections

#9 DazzaH2

DazzaH2

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:08 PM

I had mebroot few month ago it was a nightmare,ended off with a new harddrive
:thumbsup:
Windows Vista SP1/AVG 8.5/Malwarebytes' anti-malware/Firefox3.0.2/IE7/office 2007/live messenger 2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users