Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrative Privileges Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:30 PM

Hello!

Today I tried to use Spybot's Immunization Feature and I received the following notice:

"This action may not be performed completely since you are not an administrator. If you want this performed for all users, please run this application elevated as an administrator."

What's weird about this message is that I am on the Administrator account on my laptop, which is in fact, the only account on my laptop.

I can't remember if this has ever happened before, but I might not have used Spybot's Immunization feature; I have Threatfire in addition to AVG, and I use Sandboxie for the majority of web surfing, so the immunization list isn't that big of a deal, but the lack of Administrative privileges is a bit disturbing.

In addition, I opened up my control panel to search for the User Account Control menu to see if I could turn it off (I figure if there's one feature in Vista that would give me control problems it'd be UAC), but I can't find an option to turn off UAC anywhere. I've looked in Admin Tools, Security, User Accounts, Parental Control, and I can't find anything about turning off UAC.

Is there an option that I'm overlooking here, or do I have a problem with my copy of Vista?
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JanD

JanD

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:33 PM

Elendil, I had the same problem today. I have a Dell Dim. E521 with Vista Home Premium. I tried to run an update on some software and it told me I was not the "Admin" but I was. I went to Start; Control Panel; User Accts & Family; User Acct; and it should come up with the accts there. If only one is listed and it is you with Administrator under your name, then you are the only one. Now what I did to get my update after that...I don't remember, maybe someone else on here can do so! JanD

#3 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:04 AM

1. When you want to run Spybot S&D right click the shortcut and select Run as Administrator. If you want permanently run it as administrator follow This

#4 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:31 AM

2. To turn off User Account Control (You may use method #4):How to disable UAC in Vista

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users