Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fat32 To Ntfs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NORMAN1

NORMAN1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:22 PM

Should I switch from FAT32 to NTFS in my 2000NT operating system? Thanks.
Norman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:16 PM

Is using FAT32 causing you any problems? If you don't need any of the extra features of NTFS (eg not having a 4GB filesize limit) then it's probably best left alone. There is always a small risk of something going wrong with a conversion, and if the FAT32 partition has not been prepared with NTFS compatability, an NTFS filesystem with 512-byte clusters may result, giving poor results.

In the past I've tended to set a drive up with a FAT32 partition and an NTFS one, to get the "best of both worlds".

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:19 PM

Hello, NORMAN1.
See here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314097
Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users