Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant Hard Drive Light

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 weybrew

weybrew

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:22 PM

For some time now my Hard Drive light remains ON even with no programs running. It blinks as I start up in the morning but soon goes ON and remains so. I've checked Task Manager and had a local geek help me look at processes running, but stopping everything but essential Windows systems, the HD light won't go out. I have uninstalled my antivirus program and the light will go out, but it reappears at next startup. I've uninstalled my antispyware program and the light will go out, but it reappears at next startup.

Can anyone offer a suggestion? I've also changed AV programs but with the same results.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:32 PM

Maybe those programs you removed...are running scans (which would account for HD activity).

Uninstalling a program shouild have no impact on a hard drive...unless doing so terminates a running application.

Louis

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:45 PM

Try turning off Disk Indexing. Right click on your hard drive in Explorer and select Properties. At the bottom of the window you should see "Allow indexing service to index this disk for faster searches," uncheck this and click then click OK.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:10 PM

You can check hard drive activity from Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del)
Click on the Processes tab
Go to the View menu item and select the "Select columns" option
Scroll down until you get to the IO Reads box - put a check mark in it.
Click OK to close the dialog.
Resize the Task Manager windows so you can see the IO Reads column
Double click on the column header to sort by that column
Wait....
You'll be able to see the high amounts of IO Reads (hard drive reads) by viewing this. The name of the process in the left hand column will be the one that's causing the high IO Reads.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 weybrew

weybrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for your replies. I tried turning Indexing OFF/ON and the results were good. The HD light seems to be working fine. I don't know what happened, but this seems to have shaken something loose.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:58 PM

Many users find that the indexing function is NOT valuable and just turn it off, http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/09/18/t...-in-windows-xp/

My experiences with it (when enabled accidentally) were similar to yours...it ran and ran and ran :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 weybrew

weybrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:53 AM

I spoke too soon! After my Indexing trial I thought my problem was fixed, but it's back again. And this time turning Indexing off didn't work. Oh, well. Anyone else have a suggestion?

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:25 PM

Try what usasma recommended in post #4.

You can check hard drive activity from Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del)
Click on the Processes tab
Go to the View menu item and select the "Select columns" option
Scroll down until you get to the IO Reads box - put a check mark in it.
Click OK to close the dialog.
Resize the Task Manager windows so you can see the IO Reads column
Double click on the column header to sort by that column
Wait....
You'll be able to see the high amounts of IO Reads (hard drive reads) by viewing this. The name of the process in the left hand column will be the one that's causing the high IO Reads.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users