Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building A New System To Play Age Of Conan

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mysil

Mysil

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:13 PM

Hello all, I am in the process of building a new computer. I am planning on buying the parts sometime in June and I am seeking advice. I have built my last two computers, however I am no expert =). This computer is going to be mainly for gaming and I am planning on overclocking my CPU. I have never done overclocking but im told it isnt very hard. Now my main concern is overheating or reducing its life. Thus the reason for the water cooling. Now this scares the crap out of me, I have never seen a water cooling system and basically water + computer really really scares me. Now placing water INSIDE my computer..well my heart skips a beat. However everything ive read pretty much states I would want to water cool the Phenom if I am going to overclock it to over 3.0 GHz. My question is, does anyone have any experience installing one...if so how diffacult are they to install? What are the chances of them leaking and destroying your system?? Also I have read about corrosion on the CPU and video cards, is this true? Also I am going with the new GeForce 9800 GX2 mainly for the HDMI output to hook to my 1080p 60" LCD.

Thanks in advance for any help.
---Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
---ASUS M3N-HT DELUXE/MEMPIPE AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
---BFG Tech BFGE981024GX2E GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB (512MB per GPU) 512-bit (256-bit per GPU) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
---Thermaltake Toughpower W0133RU ATX12V / EPS12V 1200W Power Supply 115/230 V
---G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
---AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor
---Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive
---Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD
---ZALMAN Reserator XT BK Black Reserator (Reservoir+Radiator+Water Pump) Water Cooling System

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:57 AM

Hello all, I am in the process of building a new computer. I am planning on buying the parts sometime in June and I am seeking advice. I have built my last two computers, however I am no expert =). This computer is going to be mainly for gaming and I am planning on overclocking my CPU. I have never done overclocking but im told it isnt very hard. Now my main concern is overheating or reducing its life. Thus the reason for the water cooling. Now this scares the crap out of me, I have never seen a water cooling system and basically water + computer really really scares me. Now placing water INSIDE my computer..well my heart skips a beat. However everything ive read pretty much states I would want to water cool the Phenom if I am going to overclock it to over 3.0 GHz. My question is, does anyone have any experience installing one...if so how diffacult are they to install? What are the chances of them leaking and destroying your system?? Also I have read about corrosion on the CPU and video cards, is this true? Also I am going with the new GeForce 9800 GX2 mainly for the HDMI output to hook to my 1080p 60" LCD.

Thanks in advance for any help.
---Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
---ASUS M3N-HT DELUXE/MEMPIPE AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
---BFG Tech BFGE981024GX2E GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB (512MB per GPU) 512-bit (256-bit per GPU) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
---Thermaltake Toughpower W0133RU ATX12V / EPS12V 1200W Power Supply 115/230 V
---G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
---AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor
---Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive
---Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD
---ZALMAN Reserator XT BK Black Reserator (Reservoir+Radiator+Water Pump) Water Cooling System

The build looks nice, If your gaming, Id recomend your get rid of Vista and go with Windows XP. Vista is a huge resource hog I had about a 20-30 FPS difference betweeen the operating systems.

Also on the topic of operating systems I would also say stay with a 32-bit version but with that much RAM it doesn't serem to be an option. 64-bit drivers are a pain in the butt! [Yes thier are 64-bit versions of Windows XP]

Also if your a gamer big hard drives are a must, if your going to stick with Vista I belive that thats about -6GB alone. And any where from 400MB-2GB+ per game and if your like me [which most tornament gamers are] your too lazy to uninstall stuff but thier will be those days where you sanitise your hard drive from unused stuffs. Also most 1TB drives are 10,000RPM witch I have heard has alot of imperfections, so I would stay away from those and mabey get 2x 750GB :thumbsup:

To your water cooling, yeah a lot of people aren't too crazy about putting liquid inside thier computer, but once they do it successfuly its a dream. !!Take a lot of precautions and check for air bubbles!! This I cannot stress enough, a few friends of mine will always say water cooling is worse than classic heatsink and fan becuase the air bubbles forced the water off the processor and it blew out.

For the newbies with water cooling they usally come with a little hand book that will tell you how to install it, I havent done liquid cooling in a while, but I think now-a-days that the pump and the main block thingy goes into one of the drive bays. Other than that its pretty much like installing a heat sink and fan. Put the water block on top of the processor [without the heat sink of course...] Put some thermal paste between the waterblock and processor. Same thing on the video cards remove the heat sinks and fans and do the same. Install the thingy [ I forget the name ] into an open drive bay and run the tubes, use the springs that come with it to keep it from kinking.

Again it should come wiht a booklet so read that first.

That was longer that I thought it would be O.o
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users