Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to wireless technology

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alexcraw

alexcraw

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 02 April 2005 - 12:20 PM

I have been asked to repair another local PC problem.

Description:

3-way wireless AOL connection. All 3 should be able to connect at the same time (using different user names)

Setup -

Main PC in home office connected to AOL via Belkin wireless modem/router.

Laptop 1 connected to AOL via wireless adapter through main PC

Laptop 2 connected to AOL via wireless adapter through main PC

Problem -

Laptop 1 is not getting a connection at all - anytime, even when nothing else in the network is online.

Laptop 2 will not connect when Main PC is online.

Laptop 1 is not recieving any signal returned from modem.

All 3 have up to date and working drivers.

Question:

Being a complete newbie at wireless technology, how would you suggest I tackle this problem?

Thanks

Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:37 PM

Make sure they all have unique ip addresses. I am assuming this is aol dsl or cable? You have the aol modem plugged into your router. Then your three wireless computers will connect to that router?

Make sure they are all getting different ip addresses.

#3 alexcraw

alexcraw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:37 PM

Thanks Grinler

I'll elaborate a wee bit here then. The Router is a combo modem/Router (Belkin). It has 2 aeriels out the back of it. and it is based in the home office area, near the main PC.

How should I check for seperate IP addresses?

Alex

#4 DeCipher

DeCipher

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2005 - 10:19 PM

You could go to each pc and run the command prompt and type ipconfig. Or you could log in to the router by typing the ip address of it, and looking for something like attached devices. It will show all attached devices and their ip address.

You also want to make sure that they all have the right ssid. You can enter the ssid in the wireless network properties. You can find the ssid by logging in to the router.

Keith
Posted Image

#5 alexcraw

alexcraw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:20 AM

Thanks for all your help folks, but I really am a novice.

How would I log into the router?

I typed in ipconfig into Start>Run. and nothing happened. there was a brief window showing some dos commands, but not enough time to read it. it literally flashed.

What is the ssid?

Cheers

Alex

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:15 AM

Alexcraw - I'm a wireless novice also, but since I was passing through I thought I'd throw in my 10c worth to help you along until an expert arrives:

I typed in ipconfig into Start>Run. and nothing happened

Type in "cmd" at Start>Run to open a command prompt window then type "ipconfig /all" at the c:\windows\whatever prompt to get your IP address.

How would I log into the router?

Ideally you need to find the user manual that came with the router. You also need to know the IP address or name of the router and the SSID and the router password. Check for labels on the router which may have this information.

What is the ssid?

The "Service Set IDentifier" is the unique name given to this network when it was set up. If no unique name was given the SSID is probably something like "Belkin". The laptops have to be told the SSID to which they will connect otherwise their wireless communications will be rejected by the router.

Go to the PC which is able to connect to the internet. Open a browser window and in the address bar (or nav bar) type the IP address of the router or the name of the router. The browser should now open a Belkin Router homepage. It will probably ask you to log in before you can view or change configuration details, hence the need for a password.

That's all the light I can shed at the moment, I hope its of some use.

Edited by Rimmer, 04 April 2005 - 07:41 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 DeCipher

DeCipher

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:03 AM

The address to the router is usually the default gateway. So go to the working pc, click start->run->type cmd. then use the ipconfig command to find the defualt gateway. Enter that into your internet explorer. It will ask for a username and password, it's usually something easy like admin, password or something like that, check the manual. If you dont have the manual, you can use google to find the default password.

Keith
Posted Image

#8 hays47

hays47

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:17 AM

I have never been able to get an AOL hook up to share its connection. Either hardwired or wireless. I have read where it is possible but I personally have never had any luck trying to accomplish it.
I plan to live forever , so far , plan is working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users