Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Active Desktop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 25 July 2004 - 11:22 AM

Some of you may use this feature and some may be saying "What the heck is active desktop?"
Active desktop will let you view web content on your desktop such as Bleeping Computer's rss feeds.
Windows XP users:
Right click on an empty space on the desktop,choose properties.
Click the Desktop tab, then Customize Desktop in the lower left corner.
Clcik on the Web tab and then click New.
Add a URL (http://p3k.org/rss/index.r?url=http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/posts.xml)
Click OK
The next box confirms you want to add content to your desktop, click OK.
Click OK to close the box,click OK again to close the last box, and enjoy your new desktop content.
By the way the link I gave as an example will put the 7 latest posts on your desktop and it should refresh automatically.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 04:35 PM

I tried this and it did not work for me. Could it be because I tried to create a password ? Ill try again w/o doing that. I followed your instructions step by step. I do like the idea of it though. Thanks for the tip.
Posted Image

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 03:48 PM

:thumbsup: Dang it took forever to dig up this old post.

I have a new computer and was going to apply this.

Anyway when I went to do it. It was already there. :flowers:

Click on the Web tab and then click New.
Add a URL (http://p3k.org/rss/index.r?url=http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/20backend.php?act=posts)
Click OK

And I did not put it there.

Wierd!
Posted Image

#4 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:36 AM

Hi There,

If you use a program such as Tweak UI, or Fresh UI, then the option may not be activated. Just append it in the appropriate program and then it should work. A few years ago it took me 6 months to figure out that was my problem, a stinking tick of a check box caused all my frustration. :thumbsup:

Just a suggestion,

nos :flowers:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#5 *Desdinova*

*Desdinova*

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:25 AM

Active desktop is cool :flowers:

A friend of mine, Nano/Niele, has developed a very nice little program to make the active desktop really usefull :trumpet: :cool:
(I can't imagine working without it anymore :inlove:)
http://www.niele.nl/active_desktop
His page for the active desktop program is under contruction (support-link is in Dutch at this moment) so I 'll try to explain/ translate it a bit in English here, for those who want to give it a try yet :thumbsup: :

~~~~~~~

Summary
(see screenshots on nano's active desktop site)
The lower part is a favorite box where you collect your personal favorite sites, so if you want to visit those, you only have to click the link on your desktop in the active desktop corner. It's subdivided into categories, so you can sort out your links to f.e. the urls of your favorite forums, your favorite webdesign links, ...
The upper part is a search box . In the "search query box" you can give in a word and it will search in the search-machine you've selected (google, msn search, imdb, ...).

How to download and install
* download the .exe file and save it to f.e. the desktop or My Documents folder or so.
* after download double-click the .exe file, a setup wizard wil guide you through the installation (it is in English, exept for the warning, wich only warns that if you have another version of this program in use, to first save your "old" active desktop links )
After you've installed it, you have to activate the active desktop:
* right-click the desktop > properties > tab "desktop"
* button "customize desktop" > tab "Web(site)"
* choose button " new" > button "browse" > browse to the installation folder (= C:\Program Files\Active Desktop v1.10.04) and select the "active_desktop.html" file > open > ok

Posted Image

* select the active desktop program > apply/ok
Posted Image

How to personalize the active desktop with your own favorites
* now on your desktop, a window with the active desktop is present: stretch it to the size you want and drag the window to where you want it on your desktop,

Posted Image

(the background is black but you can change it in the style.css file later (also see style editor), or even put your wallpaper image in there if you don't like a separate background for the active desktop).
If the size and place of the active desktop window is how/where you want it, select to lock the desktop items
* there are some example categories present. If you want to add your own favorite sites (and categories etc) to it, open the active desktop.html file in notepad (start > all programs > active_desktop v1.0.04 > "edit .html file"), or perhaps easier: rightclick the active desktop windows > choose "view/show source". Look for the categories and rename them or add new ones etc...
(It all looks more difficult then it is, you do'nt have to know any HTML or so ^^)

Posted Image

* there are also some example URLs, you can replace this by your own favorites
It'n not necessary to typ the whole html code (<a title="" href... etc) because, nano had also made an URL encoder: :)
http://www.niele.nl/active_desktop/url_encoder.php
just put the address (url) in the URL encoder and copy/paste the encoded result in the category in the actove_desktop.html file where you want it.
* save the changes you've made bij clicking in the menu "file" > save before closing the active.desktop.html file.
* right-click the active desktop windows > click "renew" to see the result on the windows, f.e:
Posted Image

:)

Edited by *Desdinova*, 17 February 2006 - 11:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users