Active desktop is cool
A friend of mine, Nano
/Niele, has developed a very nice little program to make the active desktop
really usefull (I can't imagine working without it anymore )http://www.niele.nl/active_desktop
His page for the active desktop program is under contruction (support-link is in Dutch at this moment) so I 'll try to explain/ translate it a bit in English here, for those who want to give it a try yet
(see screenshots on nano's active desktop site
The lower part is a favorite box
where you collect your personal favorite sites, so if you want to visit those, you only have to click the link on your desktop in the active desktop corner. It's subdivided into categories, so you can sort out your links to f.e. the urls of your favorite forums, your favorite webdesign links, ...
The upper part is a search box
. In the "search query box" you can give in a word and it will search in the search-machine you've selected (google, msn search, imdb, ...).How to download and install
* download the .exe file and save it to f.e. the desktop or My Documents folder or so.
* after download double-click the .exe file, a setup wizard wil guide you through the installation (it is in English, exept for the warning, wich only warns that if you have another version of this program in use, to first save your "old" active desktop links )After you've installed it, you have to activate the active desktop:
* right-click the desktop > properties > tab "desktop"
* button "customize desktop" > tab "Web(site)"
* choose button " new" > button "browse" > browse to the installation folder (= C:\Program Files\Active Desktop v1.10.04) and select the "active_desktop.html" file > open > ok
* select the active desktop program > apply/ok How to personalize the active desktop with your own favorites
* now on your desktop, a window with the active desktop is present: stretch it to the size you want and drag the window to where you want it on your desktop, (the background is black but you can change it in the style.css file later (also see style editor), or even put your wallpaper image in there if you don't like a separate background for the active desktop).
If the size and place of the active desktop window is how/where you want it, select to lock the desktop items
* there are some example categories present. If you want to add your own favorite sites (and categories etc) to it, open the active desktop.html file in notepad (start > all programs > active_desktop v1.0.04 > "edit .html file"), or perhaps easier: rightclick the active desktop windows > choose "view/show source". Look for the categories and rename them or add new ones etc... (It all looks more difficult then it is, you do'nt have to know any HTML or so ^^)
* there are also some example URLs, you can replace this by your own favorites
It'n not necessary to typ the whole html code (<a title="" href... etc) because, nano had also made an URL encoder: http://www.niele.nl/active_desktop/url_encoder.php
just put the address (url) in the URL encoder and copy/paste the encoded result in the category in the actove_desktop.html file where you want it.
* save the changes you've made bij clicking in the menu "file" > save before closing the active.desktop.html file.
* right-click the active desktop windows > click "renew" to see the result on the windows, f.e:
Edited by *Desdinova*, 17 February 2006 - 11:39 AM.