Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Load Hive File

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 scrubtech22

scrubtech22

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:21 AM

My XP machine will not boot!!

I have an HP Pavillion a1330n

Athlon 64 (S) 3800+ 2.4 GHz
2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
Socket 939

Chipset

ATI Radeon Xpress 200

Motherboard
Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: A8AE-LE
HP/Compaq motherboard name: AmberineM-GL6E

When trying to access recovery console I get this error message on the BSOD

stop: c0000218 {registry file failure} the registry cannot load the hive (file):/systemroot\system32\config/security or its log or alternate. it is corrupt, absent, or not writable

At first I thought I was screwed, but then I had an :flowers:

Why not remove the HD and try to access it on another machine SO... I removed the hard drive and put it in an enclosure, hooked it up to my laptop, a Vista machine, and all of the files seem to be there, I can access most of them, I have tried to access a program but was unsuccessful; probably because the effected drive is from an XP machine.

Is there any way to access and fix the registry while attached to the VISTA machine?

Can I just install another HD on the XP machine and run the recovery tool on it then transfer from the external?

I have been trying to find a fix for this for about 6 days now and am really getting frustrated. The HD manufacturer wants about 300USD to download a bootable diagnostic tool.
ANY help you wise sages :thumbsup: can give to this poor ignorant fool will be greatly appreciated.

So to summarize:
I can get into BIOS
I cannot get to recovery w/o the BSOD.
No boot to safe mode.
This all happened after a failed install of XP SP3

Edited by scrubtech22, 26 May 2008 - 09:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:36 AM

Well...I think I'd try a repair install of XP first...it's cheap, takes little time, and may save you that cash.

As for editing XP from another system...no, Windows won't allow that to happen.

Various files can be tranferred from one boot drive to another successfully...but none of the programs installed will carry over to the second drive. There are persons who say that such CAN be done, but I've not experienced their success.

If you don't have a MS XP CD, just remember that...as long as you have a valid license (OEM) for your HP system, you can use a burned copy of any OEM MS XP CD to install/repair, along with your MS/HP license.

The chances of anyone not knowing anyone with an XP Home CD...is pretty small.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:52 AM

Does the computer start at all, fans running, optical drive opens, LEDs light up?

Have you tried to do a repair installation with the installation disc?

I would follow the suggestion to download the diagnostic tool, burn it to a CD, put it in the CD drive and reboot the computer. If it doesn't boot from the CD you may have to go into the BIOS and change the boot order so that the CD-ROM is the first device seen.

You definitely don't want to connect the hdd as a master in another computer, this will usually guarantee a failure of the OS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 scrubtech22

scrubtech22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:07 AM

I am trying not to do a clean install There are files that I need on the HDD.
I know I should have backed them up but....

Can I just install any HDD as long as it is an SATA?
and Use my HP recover disks to reinstall XP and then use the External as a slave?

I can order an Hitachi, the kind that came in it, but I would like to get this done today and can find a western digital or Seagate or some other HDD at a store.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:42 AM

If you can connect this hdd to another computer and transfer files to CDs, DVDs, or flash drive I would do this as anything you do in the way of a repair or new installation can or will result in the loss of all of your non system files. There is a good tutorial for a repair installation, you can read it here.

Yes, being a desktop you can use any SATA hdd that you wish.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:26 AM

What is the make and model of your hard drive? AFAIK, no one will charge $300 for a diagnostic tool for a hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 scrubtech22

scrubtech22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:12 AM

It is an Hitachi, I went to there website and clicked on the link for diagnostic tools and it took me to a website, I do not recall the name and thats where they wanted money.

#8 scrubtech22

scrubtech22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:18 AM

Just an update,
I went and got a new HDD, Western Digital 300GB SE16, and it loaded my repair disks, I did use a jumper to slow the transfer rate I was not sure if my board would handle the higher speed of the new drive. I may try to remove it later.

Iam going to try and access the the other drive this afternoon and see what I can get off of it.

Thanls for all of your support, it really is greatly appreciated!!! :thumbsup:

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:07 AM

Here's a link to the free Hitachi Drive Fitness Test: http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 scrubtech22

scrubtech22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:12 PM

Well thanks to you wonderfull people here I have successfully retrieved ALL of my Quicken files and ALL of my passwords from roboform. I can not thank you enough

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users