Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ext Usb Enclosure W/ Dvdr/rw Reads As Cdrom Only

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Purjewl

Purjewl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:17 AM

System Specs: Win XP home, 3.06Ghz 700 MHz RAM
trying to connect an internal DVDR/RW (sony DRU810a) in an external enclosure to my laptop. recognizes as cdrom, but not as dvdr/rw.
checked device manager, tried to update drivers, none found. it only has redbook.sys and cdrom.sys.
the internal has redbook.sys, cdrom.sys, imapi.sys, and storprop.dll. (don't know if that makes a difference.)
i went to sony's site, and updated the firmware, but they don't have any drivers available to download (site says windows XP comes with all the drivers)
i even tried to find the driver on the cdrom that came with it, but nothing.
I used this drive in my desktop just fine, but since my desktop is now out of commission, i wanted to use it with my laptop.
can anything be done? please help!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:50 AM

Well...what's the make/model for the enclosure?

And...have you actually tried to use the drive in external mode? You know that it positively cannot read DVDs or play DVDs?

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:07 PM

Did the enclosure come with any type of instructions? Maybe you have to change the jumper settings on the drive
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Purjewl

Purjewl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:50 PM

i changed the jumper so the drive is set to slave; and the enclosure (Powemax Aluminum 5.25" USB 2.0 External Drive) was guaranteed for "External enclosure for 5.25 inch IDE CD-ROM, CD Writers, DVD ROM, DVD Writers, Compatitble with notebook and desktop pcs, Supports Windows 98,2000,ME,XP,Mac OS 8.6 or above

any questions see item here: http://www.meritline.com/aluminum-5-25-usb...-enclsoure.html

the one page that came with the enclosure says the drivers for any drive to be used with XP are within XP itself.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:37 PM

Again...have you actually verified what functions work and what functions don't work?

And...don't change the jumper setting unless you have specific instructions for that enclosure that say that the setting should be Slave.

When I had my enclosure, it had written instructions stating that.

I can see no reason the drive should not perform...all functions.

Louis

#6 Purjewl

Purjewl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:59 AM

Update to problem:

The drive will read any disk that is cd rom, but the whole computer crashes when a dvd is inserted into either the computer itself or the dvd rom drive.

Could it be a problem with the dvd drivers in windows? if so, how can it be fixed?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:57 AM

Have you tried the drive...within the enclosure...on a known, good working system that is not yours?

That should be relatively easy.

Then...I would remove the drive from the enclosure...and attach it to that system (temporarily) via IDE connectior...and determine whether the drive is the problem or the enclosure. If the drive neither reads nor burns DVDs when attached directly, it's the drive. Of course, change the jumper settings to match the IDE connector on the temp system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users