Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Display Some Photos In Emails

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Drongo

Drongo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:59 AM

A friend sends me a lot of emails which contain photos. I can't see the photos, all that is displayed is a box with a small cross in it. I assumed that he is using a program that I don't have but he dosn't know enough about computers to understand what I mean when I ask what format he is using. I don't have this problem with any other emails

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:22 AM

Are you using a Windows machine ? If so do you use Outlook Express as your e-mail client ?

If so, open Outlook Express then go tools>options>security and if the box "do not allow to be opened or saved attachments that may contain a virus" is checked, uncheck it.

Try that as a first step, if it does not work come back.

#3 Drongo

Drongo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:32 AM

Thanks alumbagh,
I am using Outlook Express and had already unchecked that box. Also the ones on all the security and virus programs. I have tried to right click on properties of the pictures but there is nothing.

#4 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:47 AM

OK, in OE go tools>options>read and take the check out of "read all messages in plain text"

What happens then ?

Do you what file extension are applied to the images ( jpg, tiff, png etc ) as if they are in one of the RAW modes Windows cannot display them ?

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:56 AM

More than likely the problem lies with the settings of the person who is sending the pictures...If you don't have problems with viewing other e-mail attached pictures sent from others then your settings are probably correct. There can be lots of reasons for the red X...Read this article...It may answer some of your questions.

http://www.hpdretired.com/index.cfm/act/ne.../startrow/3.htm
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#6 Drongo

Drongo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:20 AM

That box was already unchecked

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users