Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Warning message

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Old Gimmer

Old Gimmer

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:17 AM

Can somebody tell me what this means please. My computer crashed and then rebooted and now I get messages every few minutes from WinPatrol and Spybot asking me about %systemroot%\system32\dumprep o -k. So far I have been denying the changes, am I right to do so? If I am how do I stop the messages from appearing. Thanks in anticipation.....OG.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Couch Potato

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:26 AM

Not an expert but check out this link for some insight into your problem - WinTasks Process Library. It is probably trying to write the log file and WinPatrol / Spybot are preventing it.

#3 Old Gimmer

Old Gimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:15 PM

Couch Potato, thanks for that. I did get a message from Microsoft asking if I wanted to submit a report, and I clicked no. I've done the same in the past but have never had any warning messages from either WinPatrol or Spybot, so what's different this time I wonder. Anybody else got any more info. Cheers......OG.

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:48 PM

Hi Gimmer,

You may want to post a HJT log in the HJT forum and let the guys look it over. The stuff I saw, looking through Google, showed most people questioning an adware problem. Just a rule out measure. Other than that, I never found any listings for that error.

I checked MS Knowledge Base, Symantec, and Sophos.

Good Luck

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 Old Gimmer

Old Gimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:30 AM

Rigel, Yes I think that a HJT log is the way to go, especially as I've just noticed that a new program has appeared in my startup list. It's %FP% Friendly fts.exe and I don't know where it's come from.Cheers.....OG.

#6 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:32 AM

I googled that and nobody else seems to know what it is.
If possible make a copy of the file and send it in to a virus vendor or adaware or spybot.
Then open task manager and find it and shut it down. then open add remove in control panel if its there uninstall it. Then run reg edit and run a search for that file remove any references to it or as mentioned run hijack this and let it remove it.
I think in this instance that it is better to be safe than sorry.

This appears to be brand new. I ran it thru a half dosen malware databases and all list it as unknown.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:47 PM

StartupList Deep Dive
!! THIS IS A STARTUP PROGRAM AND NOT A TASK MANAGER PROCESS ITEM !!
Field Value
Name %FP%Friendly fts.exe
Command fts.exe
Status ?
Description Friendly ISP software - what does it do and is it required?

STATUS KEY:

"Y" - Normally leave to run at start-up
"N" - Not required - typically infrequently used tasks that can be started manually if necessary
"U" - User's choice - depends whether a user deems it necessary
"X" - Definitely not required - typically viruses, spyware, adware and "resource hogs"
"?" - Unknown
http://castlecops.com/startuplist-7167.html

#8 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:54 PM

Yes they all show it as a friendly ISP process but nobody knows what it does or if its needed. Perhaps calling his ISP may get him some better info.

#9 Old Gimmer

Old Gimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:12 PM

I rang my ISP today and they told me that fts.exe is to do with my broadband modem, so that's a relief. As to my other problem, all I've managed to find out is that it's something to do with a kernel fault check, whatever that means. Can anybody tell me what it is please. Cheers......OG.

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:31 PM

Can somebody tell me what this means please. My computer crashed and then rebooted and now I get messages every few minutes from WinPatrol and Spybot asking me about %systemroot%\system32\dumprep o -k. So far I have been denying the changes, am I right to do so? If I am how do I stop the messages from appearing. Thanks in anticipation.....OG.

Hi Old Gimmer. :thumbsup: This is what I found. Why WinPatrol and Spybot are questioning it, I do not know.

According to Bleeping Computer's Startup Database

Name - dumprep 0 -k

File Name - dumprep 0 -k

Status - N

(N = This status flag means it is unnecessary to run this program automatically when Windows starts as you can run it manually when necessary.)

Description - Used in connection with memory dumps - you can disable these by - right clicking on My Computer, selecting Properties and then the Advanced tab. Click on the Settings button in 'Startup and Recovery'. In the bottom pane - under 'Write debugging information' - click on the down arrow and then select 'None' - OK your way out

Edited by scarlett, 04 April 2005 - 02:24 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Old Gimmer

Old Gimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:03 AM

Cheers scarlett, followed your instructions and now every things back to normal. Many thanks......OG.

#12 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:26 AM

:thumbsup: Your so welcome! :flowers:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users