Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchosts.exe / Trojan Trouble

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 don_s

don_s

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:44 PM

Hi there folks.

A few days ago I noticed that a new exe file had appeared on my c/windows/user drive: "svchosts.exe" (that's "svchostS.exe" with an "S").

I did a scan of my computer using my bitdefender software and no viruses turned up. I googled "SVCHOSTS.EXE" and discovered it was a trojan.

Around this time strange symptoms started appearing on my computer (more on this in a moment). I contacted bitdefender's support team, sent them the file as they requested, they analyzed it, and a day or so later an update to BitDefender seemed to trap and remove the trojan.

Unfortunately, though my security software tells me I have no viruses on my computer, I'm still suffering from the symptoms; namely:

1. A bubble keeps appearing in my taskbar telling me that autoupdates are available for my computer. When I saw this the first time I thought it was strange because I'd turned off autoupdates (I update manually). That being the case, I navigated to:

CONTROL PANEL > MSN SECURITY CENTRE > AUTOUPDATES,

and the screen where I choose to turn updates on and off has been greyed out. I can't turn the autoupdates on or off, and I can't run updates manually.

2. Everytime I try to print to PDF, my computer stalls and crashes...

3. SYSTEM RESTORE has been turned off (default setting is on). I'm not sure if I can turn SYSTEM RESTORE back on because I don't know if doing so will restore me back to the state in which I had the virus in the first place.

4. I can no longer clear my HISTORY or my TEMP folders from Internet Explorer. Every time I choose TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS > GENERAL, and run "clean temp files" and "clear history", I get a response telling me the folders have been cleaned, but when I navigate to C":\Documents and Settings\USER" and view the temp folder or the history folder, the files are still present.

Any thoughts on how I can return my machine to it's clean state. I'm sure these symptoms are related to the virus, since they didn't appear until after I caught the virus.

Do I have to run a HIJACK THIS scan and post in that forum, or is there a way to solve these ongoing inconveniences?

Thanks for your help,
D.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 don_s

don_s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:35 AM

Hi there..
my symptoms have become worse so I've run a hijackthis scan and I'm going to post in that forum. If there's an administrator out there, you can close this post. Thanks.
D.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,089 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:26 PM

Your hijackthis log is posted here and you are already getting assistance.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Thanks for your cooperation and good luck with your log.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users