Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rsod?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 gumbyisgreeny0

gumbyisgreeny0

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:55 PM

Okay well not sure where to start but:

One day like about a month ago, my desktop turned red and the internet wasn't working and there were tons of popups. I did some research and read about the RSoD and installed a spyware remover thing on it. First I did Windows Defender which I thought helped because it got rid of the red screen but the internet still didn't work. Then I decided to install Spybot and it found like 75 problems like Virtumonde and winfixer or something and I tried to get rid of them but it kept freezing up so I really couldn't... I left the computer alone for about 2 weeks and decided to turn it on and realized the desktop was like an original DELL one like when you first get a computer and all of this stuff popped up like how to use Windows XP and stuff. The internet still just doesn't work... and to top it all off, I happened to try to look at some pictures I had saved and discovered ALL of them have been erased. On all of the desktops... How great.

So I really need some help. And I'm pretty good with computers but not THAT good so if you could explain what to do somewhat easily I would appreciate it!

Thank you.

:thumbsup:

PS Boopme:
It's XP.
Thanks!!!

Edited by gumbyisgreeny0, 25 May 2008 - 10:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:38 PM

Well if you have lost all your valuable files then perhaps the best thing to do is a full format and reinstall. This will kill all malware existing and obviously start you off new. Is this an XP or Vista machine. wecan give you links for help. Or you will need to go thru the HiJak This forum. They have the specialized tools to repair this.
Again let me know which info you want.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 gumbyisgreeny0

gumbyisgreeny0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:49 PM

It's XP.
Thanks so much!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,239 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:51 PM

You're welcome.

Do you want to Reinstall or go thru the HJT??
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 gumbyisgreeny0

gumbyisgreeny0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:53 PM

I guess first we can try HJT.
Thanks again!

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,239 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:58 PM

Cool, do this, they are a busy bunch right now so please be patient.

Please follow the instructions in this tutorial for posting a HijackThis Log.
Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log

After you have created it,post the log here HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal and NOT in this topic,thanks.

Click on New Topic and copy/paste the entire log into the reply. Give it a relevant title. (perhaps Red Screen of death)
Once you have posted the log DO NOT reply to it or change it until contacted or advised to do so by the HJT Team tech.
Should you have any other questions about this ask those here.

Please tell us here when you have sucessfully posted the log,thanks.

Good luck to you

#7 gumbyisgreeny0

gumbyisgreeny0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:06 PM

when you say copy and paste the entire log do you mean what i explained in my original post?

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,239 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:10 PM

No the entire log (HiJack log) produced in the step 9 (I believe)of the Prep guide, creating the HiJack log.

#9 gumbyisgreeny0

gumbyisgreeny0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:14 PM

CRAPP.
I apologize but I'm really confused...

#10 gumbyisgreeny0

gumbyisgreeny0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:17 PM

Oh wait...
Do you have to do that DSS stuff first?

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,239 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:19 PM

No my bad , I forgot we renovated the form .. Just follow what it says in step 6 the DSS report

#12 gumbyisgreeny0

gumbyisgreeny0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:24 PM

Ohh okay.
Well what if I'm not on the infected computer?
Can I save the DSS to a removable disk USB thing?
And then download it to the infected comp?

But then when the report comes how can I copy and paste the log on to the thing if the internet doesn't work at all?
Or can I just save that to the USB as well and transfer it to the computer i'm on now?

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,239 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:39 PM

Yes we want to get it to perform its scan on the infected PC. You won't need the internet to sun it once you have the d'load.
Once we get a scan log you can post that and they will tell you how to do the rest.

#14 gumbyisgreeny0

gumbyisgreeny0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:06 PM

Okay.
Well, I ran the DSS and copied the 2 logs onto what it said to.

Thank you so much for your help!
I really appreciate it.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:08 PM

Your hijackthis log is posted here.

Now that your log is posted,, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team. If you still need assistance after your log has been reviewed and you have been cleared, please PM me or another moderator and we will re-open this topic.

Thanks for your cooperation and good luck with your log.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users