Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Flash Drive Memory Capacity Decrease

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ralphjerome

ralphjerome

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:11 PM

please help me how to solve this problem, the capacity of my flash drive was decrease....

the original memory size is 512MB but now 498...is that because I'll just remove my flash drive when I finished using it?

Thanks,
Ralph

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:34 PM

Was the drive ever reported as having 512M capacity, or are you working from the nominal specification?

Capacities shown vary depending on whether they are quoted as bytes, or megabytes either 1 million bytes or 2 ^ 20 bytes.

Windows reports my 512M flash drive as:

Capacity: 512,696,320 bytes 488MB

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 ralphjerome

ralphjerome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:48 AM

No! that`s not it, I just want know if why is my flash drive memory was decrease because when I buy it the original size of it is 512 MB but when I use it again and again the memory of my flash drive decrease into 498 and my question is, is that because I just remove my flash drive on an computer directly without proper removing?........and can you give me a solution to restore the proper memory of my flash drive......

Edited by ralphjerome, 27 May 2008 - 10:50 AM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,853 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:26 PM

It is possible that an unsafe removal could have caused the self-diagnostics on the flash drive to exclude damaged sectors. If that happens, you can't safely reclaim them as you will then get data errors. Unsafe removal is more likely to lose the contents of files or damage the filesystem and need re-formatting.

However I'm still not certain of the nature of the decrease, because of the different sizes that are normally reported for drives. What is the size in bytes reported for the capacity in the Properties of the drive? (where mine is 512,696,320)

#5 ralphjerome

ralphjerome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:45 AM

I will just use a picture.

Posted Image

Edited by ralphjerome, 28 May 2008 - 07:47 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:34 PM

The difference you see reflected in those two numbers...is merely an accounting thing.

Every hard drive manufacturer actually overstates the useful capacity of the drive...even though (technically) they are being honest.

It's the useable space which counts, not the crazy way drive manufacturers advertise the drive.

Example: My 500GB hard drive...actually only gives me 464GB of useable space. The difference is accounted for...partly by space used to set up the partition/file system, partly by the fact that there never was 500GB of useable space on that drive.

For a detailed explanation, see Hard Drive Size being reported wrong in Windows - http://articles.networktechs.com/printer-36.html .

Louis

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,853 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:44 PM

Looks quite normal, as hamluis says.

The actual bytes available will vary slightly between brands, but drive manufacturers state their drive size claim as millions of bytes. So your drive (which is actually showing slightly larger capacity than my Lexar) with just over 523 million byte capacity, comfortably exceeds the specified 512 million bytes.

#8 ralphjerome

ralphjerome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:09 PM

When I used the ubuntu this is the capacity.......

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users