Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg 8 Auto Delete False Positives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trindflo

trindflo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:11 PM

I recently installed AVG 8.0 free prior to the 7.5 product being discontinued.

It found a false positive inside an archive and decided to delete the file.
Since the file was within an archive, AVG apparently decided to delete the archive.
And I guess the archive was too large as it has been completely deleted (not moved to the vault).

The offending (false positive) file was an OS/2 library to allow UNIX compatibility (emx: omflib.a)

I recommend when installing this software that you change the settings to disallow scanning inside archives and automatic file deletion.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for telling us that trindflo.
Also Avg 8.0's warnings usually are false postitves too. AVG 8.0 has some difficulties "getting along" with Spywareblaster and Spybot's Immunize feature. Just wanted to point that out.

Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:28 AM

I recommend when installing this software that you change the settings to disallow scanning inside archives and automatic file deletion.

I'd say that with ANY security software, it's wise not to permit automatic file deletion. Any detection by any antivirus or antispyware program should be investigated thoroughly before deleting it - or even before quarantining it. If it's a false positive, and a crucial file is deleted wrongly, you could find your security program doing as much damage as the malware it's designed to protect you from.
Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users