Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Active Mixer ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 michael49er

michael49er

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:01 PM

Hi I've tried about every thing uninstall reinstall. I might be do this is always the same ( no active mixer code 39 ) please help :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:15 AM

There is a good article which explains a solution for this which is very comprehensive, you can read it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:25 AM

If that solution doesn't work for you, open the device manager...Click "+" on System Devices...Look for "Plug and Play System Device Enumerator"... If it isn't there or has a yellow "!" or red X then that is probably your problem. There are procedures to fix this if it is missing described here:

http://www.tymes.net/swenum/fix-swenum0.htm

This works only if it is missing. If it is disabled (red X) try enabling it by Right-Click...choose enable....
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 michael49er

michael49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:04 PM

Hi thank you I just tried both method's this silly thing still won't work?
this is very frusterating it just happened for no apperent reason

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:23 PM

So you are saying that you checked that "Windows Audio" was set to automatic in the services manager and that you did find "Plug and Play System Device Enumerator" in the device manager...Is this correct?

You must be recieving a message somewhere that is stating that "Drivers are enabled but not started"code 39. Do you see anything like that in the control panel>sounds, speech, and audio section?

#6 michael49er

michael49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:28 PM

can't find plug n play and the other says no device( thats from sound Icon) I had previously had code 39 but have no yellow or red marks?

#7 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:51 PM

No Plug and Play System Device Enumerator? Did you follow the link that I gave you? If you click on NO at the upper right corner it will lead you to the fix...Did you try this?

Are you looking in the device manager? Start>Run>devmgmt.msc>SystemDevices

Edited by douglas martin, 26 May 2008 - 03:54 PM.

#8 michael49er

michael49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:21 PM

Hi Iclicked no and got fix I'm not sure how to do this akinda lost on first step ie temp file, but why is there no plugN play
I've used it before?

#9 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:36 PM

Once you click on No, the next page opens...Move your mouse down to just before md...left-click and hold mouse button while dragging to the last character 1...All text should be blue...Right-Click mouse...select copy....Next you are going to run a command...Press Start> Run> cmd...OK...A DOS Command box opens...Cursor down to the end of the text and Right-Click mouse...Select paste...It will run a program then stop....Type exit and the box will close...Then follow the rest of the fix using the hardware wizard...

#10 michael49er

michael49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:19 PM

hi just followed steps until step 7 there is no plug n play?

#11 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:52 AM

OK, I'm not sure where you got lost, but we'll go through this step by step. I'm going to start from the beginning so if you have already completed some of them just skip down to where you left off and go from there...You can do this!!!

First we are going to establish a temporary file in your C: drive containing the changes to machine.inf and a copy of two files needed to re-install the missing Plug and Play System Device Enumerator.

Copy the following:

Posted Image

Open Command Prompt>Start>Run>type cmd>OK...Right-Click near end of text and choose paste. Script will run.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Type exit and enter to close the command prompt

Temporary file should now be created. Should find it on your C: drive. Labled C:\temp. Looks something like this:

Posted Image

Open the Harware Wizard if it is closed.

Posted Image

Step1

Posted Image

Step2

Posted Image

Step 3 select Add Hardware Device

Posted Image

Step 4 select Install Hardware Manually from list

Posted Image

Step 5 select system devices (all devices)

Posted Image

Step 6 highlight standard system devices and press Have Disk

Posted Image

Step 7 Type C:\temp\ in box click Next

Posted Image

Step 8 Select Plug and Play System Device Enumerator from list on Right

Posted Image

Step 9 Installing Click Next

Posted Image

Step 10 Click Finish when Done

Plug and Play System Device Enumetator should now be in the Device Manager. If there are no conflicts with it or any of your sound drivers you should be good to go...

Edited by douglas martin, 27 May 2008 - 06:18 AM.

#12 michael49er

michael49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:18 PM

on step 5 there is standard device to click on mine has nothing above AMD

#13 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:44 AM

After a long look at this procedure there seem to be a couple of errors. At the step that you are having problems with don't worry that standard system devices doesn't show up (it will)...At that point DON'T select anything from either list, just press HAVE DISK. Type C:\temp in the box and press Next...standard system devices shows up on this screen but we don't care any more, from the list on the right cursor down to "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator"...click on it the click NEXT ( not Have Disk)...Then just let it finish.

I'm sorry about the confusion on the procedure above. I didn't write it (found it in another forum) and to be honest I didn't use it to fix the problem that I had with the enumerator...I did it a much harder way...

#14 michael49er

michael49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:58 PM

Hi thank you again for all your help but that didn't work it can't find c temp I'm wondering if I might have a bigger problem. When I restarted I had blue screen, it was checking disks and then it was naming files that needed to be truncated???? should I be thinking abuot a recovery disk if so I did not get one with my systemax (XP pro )
but I have my hp media center disks probably a silly Q. but can I use the other disks/

#15 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:53 AM

I'm sorry about that...By following this procedure exactly, you should be creating that folder...If it isn't there then, either something was not done correctly, or something else is going on...I'm not in front of your machine so it is extremely hard for me to figure that out...

If you are experiencing, other problems, then it may be an option to do a system recovery. If your system is an HP and they didn't supply you with recovery disks, then you probably have a recovery partition on your computer. The link here explains how to use this built in feature (I didn't know what model you have but just plug that information in the boxes at the top for the exact make and model for specific instructions).

If you choose to do this, I would back-up any files and programs that you don't want to lose...Either move them to an external device or burn them to CD's so that once you finish the recovery you can re-install them.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...6213&dlc=en

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users