Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Reformat Windows Xp S2

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TTC

TTC

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:02 PM

Hey all,

I recently purchased this (http://www.velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?iid=31) computer with the following specs.

A-bit AN-M2 nView AM2 NF630a mATX Motherboard
AMD Anthlon 64 X2 6400 + 3.2 GHz Processor with Dual Core Technology, Socket AM2
Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro Heatsink, Ultra Quiet Fan, Copper Heat Pipes
4096MB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 Low Latency Extreme Memory with Heat Spreader
512 EVGA GeForce 8800 GT DDR3 PCI-E w/HDCP
VideoCool Positive Pressure Airflow System
320GB Hitachi 7200rpm SATA300, 16MB Cache
20x Lite On DVD +/- RW Dual Layer Burner
Integrated 10/100/1000 MBps Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter
Integrated 52-in-1 Internal Media Card Reader
2 Intergrated IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports, 1 front & 1 rear
8 USB 2.0 ports (2 front, 6 rear)

All was running great, until some complications came up with a game I was playing . I tried reinstalling the OS using the Windows XP S2 I got with the computer, but it asked for a product key...Velocity didn't provide me with a XP Pro S2 product key. A few days prior to the attempted reinstall, I called them (unrelated to this problem) and asked about the product key of the OS (because of course, the only product key on the box was for Windows Vista Business. What the hell? ) . They told me that my computer featured a "special downgrade" that came with the original OS for that machine, a Windows Vista Business. They explained that their version of the reboot cd did not need a product key to be utilized. So when I tried the reinstall, I figured that I wouldn't need the product key right? Error- wrong. :thumbsup: I tried reinstalling it without a product key from the cd they provided....And Now my XP thinks that its only a trial, and when I try to get it verified or whatever it won't let me go to the page to do so because some "missing file". So overall, I'm pretty much screwed. @_@

I know that this problem can be fixed if I completely wipe the drive and do a reformat, reinstalling the OS....But that's the thing. The OS is a Windows XP Pro S2 with no product key. >_< I have a Windows XP Pro OEM disc from my old computer I can use, but I can't use the product key on it as I've already used it on my old one.

Questions:
1. Do I have to buy another set of OS cds just to get a product key? Or is there a way I can just purchase a product key from Microsoft?
2. Can I install the Windows XP Pro OEM disc I have...or does it have to be a Windows XP Pro S2 disc?
3. How do I go about reformatting this computer? I'm not too familliar with the process.

Thank you guys soooo much. >_< I totally need this help, lol.

- TTC

/edit: I found out about Vista downgrade rights here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/f...erencesheet.pdf

According to this,I should be able to reactivate my XP S2 OS after I contact them..Which is a good thing. But I still need to figure out how do I reformat this machine? Help?

Edited by TTC, 25 May 2008 - 12:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:21 AM

I know that this problem can be fixed if I completely wipe the drive and do a reformat, reinstalling the OS....But that's the thing. The OS is a Windows XP Pro S2 with no product key. >_< I have a Windows XP Pro OEM disc from my old computer I can use, but I can't use the product key on it as I've already used it on my old one.

Questions:
1. Do I have to buy another set of OS cds just to get a product key? Or is there a way I can just purchase a product key from Microsoft?
2. Can I install the Windows XP Pro OEM disc I have...or does it have to be a Windows XP Pro S2 disc?
3. How do I go about reformatting this computer? I'm not too familliar with the process.

Thank you guys soooo much. >_< I totally need this help, lol.

- TTC

/edit: I found out about Vista downgrade rights here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/f...erencesheet.pdf

According to this,I should be able to reactivate my XP S2 OS after I contact them..Which is a good thing. But I still need to figure out how do I reformat this machine? Help?

Please download this http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html.

Once it is installed...Run it. You will be able to find the key under licenses on the left under Operating System. Use this key to register your installation using the XP Pro SP2 CD that came with your system. Do not use a CD that was used for an installation on another computer unless it is the same version and SP #. You could possibly use that CD to do a repair install if you had to...You can't use it for a fresh install if it does not match the product key for the version that you have installed from the factory. Doing this is considered PIRACY and is not legal.

In order to format your computer, install the CD in the tray and re-boot your system. Follow the prompts. If the set-up stops for any length of time look at the bottom of the screen (it may be waiting for a response from you like "Press F8 to Accept" or something along those lines). You just continue on. You will probably reach a screen that will ask you if you want to do a repair or a new install...I would select New...Choose to install Windows on one partition OR make additional partitions...That is up to you...Choose to install O/S on C: and it will format for you. Once prompted for the product key use the one you got from SIW. It is possible that you may even have to call Microsoft Customer Support if you get an invalid key message. Just call the 1-800 number and they will activate it for you. You will have to be on-line to plug in the series of numbers that the technician will give you to activate.

Edited by douglas martin, 26 May 2008 - 11:35 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users