Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1394 Firewire Detection Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Richiedude

Richiedude

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:53 AM

I am using windows xp pro.

I have 2 firewire drives and a minidv video camera connected via firewire - all have been working correctly for over 3 years with minimal problems - occasionally when the drives or camera were not detected a power on/off cycle and/or computer reset fixed the problem and all was restored and detected just fine.

Until yesterday.

I was capturing video - after completing a tape i was changing the tape and accidently unplugged the firewire cable to the camera - which immediately diconnected the camera, then the drives. Have done this before - did the usual power down / reset / power up.

The firewire drives are detected and work but for the life of my i cannot get the camera to be detected anymore.

When i turn on my camera - it makes the drives disconnect - exactly as described here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894956/en-us

ie turning on my camera connected to 1394 causes the drives to stop working, and my camera is not detected.

Doing the workaround - disabling then enabling the 1394 controllers to force renumeration does not work. The drives remain undetected as does the camera. As soon as i turn off or diconnected the camera - the drives return!

According to:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830987/en-us

I should update to sp3 - which i did - no change.

So to sumarrize:
When camera is turned on - it disconnects my firewire drives.
When camera is turned off - the drives reconnect and work

If I power up with the drives diconnected and only the camera connected - the camera is not detected.

Yes the cable is good to the camera - the camera displays "dv in" when connected and disappears when diconnected. I do have another cable I tried and same results, camera will not detect.

Any ideas why everything would work for over 3 years then go into this seemingly stuck loop??????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:09 PM

Have you checked in the Device Manager to see if there are any errors?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Richiedude

Richiedude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:41 PM

yes

as mentioned i've used the device manager to toggle the 1394 controller by disabling then enabling it to attempt to force it to see the camera but to no avail.

When the camera is connected along with the drives, as soon as the camera is turned on the drives go down & i see the yellow/x markings in the device manager for both drives, as soon as i turned the camera on - i see the drives re-enable in the device manager and work again.

camera just won't freaking get recognized and when it is on - kills the drives - then when turned off drives come back.

i have 3 different cameras, all sony, that i have tried same results for all of them.

wtf?

remember too - has been work for over 3 years until yesterday then th is crap started

*sigh*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users