Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best system for old MS-DOS games?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 webe123

webe123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:56 AM

OK, this is what I am wanting to know.....I am thinking of purchasing an old system to exclusively run my old MS-DOS based PC games such as...Thief:The dark project and Thief:The Metal age and also other old MS-DOS based games such as wing commander 1 and 2 and wing commander privateer (original)

So my question is....what would be the best OVERALL cpu speed I should look for with these type of games? Is there a computer with a CPU speed that "one size fits all" as far as MS-DOS based games are concerned?

By the way, just out of curiousity...what was the very LAST MS-DOS based game made? Anyone know? Because I think it would be safe to assume that if I got a system based on whatever the maximum requirements were, I should have all of my MS-DOS based games be able to play on that system and CPU speed along with getting a systyem that has enough RAM.

I am kind of looking for an "all in one" package that I could play ALL of my old MS-DOS games on. Any reccomendations?

By the way, I already know about programs like Mo' slow that will slow down the modern cpu speeds to match a game, but those programs sometimes work and sometimes do not! The only way I know of that I could be assured that my MS-DOS games could run smoothly like they did years ago, is to purchase a computer from the same era the games were created in! This way, at least I know they would be in their native enviornment and I could get one of those old systems for a song!

What are your opinions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:32 PM

I dont think you need to do that. Why not download and run the programs, like moslow, that allow you to throttle your processor speed so you can play these games

#3 webe123

webe123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 07:28 AM

I dont think you need to do that.  Why not download and run the programs, like moslow, that allow you to throttle your processor speed so you can play these games

Why? Because mo slow does not always work! Some of these games HAVE to be played in their natural enviornment! That's why I am wanting a box just for MS-DOS games.

Edited by webe123, 03 April 2005 - 07:29 AM.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 05:18 PM

Usually you can get around these restrctions with a boot disk. A 500-800 mhz processor though should be more than adequate for these purposes

#5 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:51 PM

I would just use a 486 cpu
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:27 PM

You can pickup a P-I 200 or233 for $25 at you local thrift store. buy a cheap off brand KVm and just use you current monitor and keyboard/mosue. If you go with DOS 4.01 or better you could use DOSSHELL as you GUI.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:59 AM

i agree, its just enough to have a Pentium 1 with 64 mb ram.

#8 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:40 AM

i can run dos games on my xp..=D

#9 Federer Express

Federer Express

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:49 PM

Is it OK to run MS-DOS games on XP? Cuz my brother is playing some really out-dated games on our computer.
Windows XP Home Edition. SP2. Pentium IV. 2.3 Ghz. 768 MB RAM
I hope it doesn't do something wrong to our computer.

Edited by Federer Express, 16 July 2006 - 12:49 PM.

What the Bleep are you talking about? Are you Bleepin' kidding me?
You think this is Bleepin' funny?

#10 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:55 PM

naw it works fine but it might just be my comp but wen u play for real long time itll close off and give u an error...nothing big like inernal u just gotta close the gmae and restart but it might be for only my computer

#11 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:28 PM

I would recomends a 486 DX 66mhz cpu. 32mb of RAM (64mb MAX) and a cheap VGA video card. I would run DOS 5.0 and use the DOS shell for the GUI. Or pick up a copy of windows 3.0 or 3.1 both work great. A cheap 2gb HDD or two of them. You can pick them up for a couple of dollars at your local shop. A standard keyboard would do fine. A cheap 13" monitor, and if some games require a mouse buy a cheap parralelle port mouse. And you can download a cheap mouse driver called MOUSE.COM just do a simple google search. That is a basic machine that would work great. (For CD get a cheap IDE CD DRIVE.) Then download oakcdrom.sys off another google search. Copy oakcdrom to the DOS directory. Then edit your config.sys and autoexec.bat files. I will post the addition to autoexec.bat and config.sys when I remeber how to do it lol.
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users