Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noisy Laptop Hard Drive With Vista/xp Dual Boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:33 AM

Hi,

I have set up a Vista and XP dual boot laptop.
XP is much faster which is why I set up the dual boot.
The only thing is, is that the hard drive, while using XP, is very noisy, while with Vista it's not.
Can I fix this at all or am I just going to have to let it churn away while I work?

Thanks

pcmaddeanp

Server Room Geek - IT Professionals Community

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:12 AM

What was the original OS on the drive? Have you defragged the drive? Is the noise just the hard drive spinning constantly or does it make a clicking sound?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:36 AM

What was the original OS on the drive? Have you defragged the drive? Is the noise just the hard drive spinning constantly or does it make a clicking sound?

Original OS - Windows Vista
Defragged - No
Sound - Clicking but it's when I go throught the hard drive (if you know what I mean)

P.S. Thanks garmanma for all the replies to my questions :thumbsup:

pcmaddeanp

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:41 AM

In my past experience (mostly with laptops), clicking sounds coming from a hard drive is generally not a good thing. I had a Gateway Solo with Windows 98 installed that started doing this and I just overlooked it. BAD MISTAKE, as eventually it completely failed leaving me with a really expensive repair bill to try and recover tons of very important data. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford that expense and just replaced the ailing hard drive with another one, then got rid of it totaly out of fear of it happening again...Take a look at this article...

http://askbobrankin.com/hard_drive_makes_a...king_sound.html

I would recommend at the very least to try the CHKDSK /r function and possibly download a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer of your hard drive and run it to be sure.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:33 AM

...and I would combine the two great suggestions by Garmanma and DouglasMartin...I would run chkdsk /r first, then defrag the partition after chkdsk completes and reboots.

Noise generally is not a good thing, but some drive tend to be noisy without being hazardous to your happiness :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:07 AM

The clicking is the movement of the arm inside. It seems to go faster when using XP.
I'm just about to do the chkdsk /r and then defrag.
I hope this sorts out the problem!

Oh, and another thing, would havin 4 partitions on it make the hard disk move more (especially with XP on an Extended Partition)?

pcmaddeanp

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:34 PM

Partitions...are merely storage containers.

Having 4 containers or having one container...all data files have to be accessed.

I do know that moving data from one partition on Drive X to another partition on Drive X...is slower than moving it from partition on Drive X to partition on Drive C...so I try not to create more than one partition (on a small drive) for my Windows partition, while using larger drives for storage of data files (movies, .mp3s, etc.).

I cannot say that either situation involves more movement or work by drives...

Some users (laptop owners) often don't have a choice and must go with one drive and several partitions.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users