Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Second Hard Drive Has Really Slowed Down My System

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JamieH

JamieH

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:52 PM

OK, ever since I added a new 250GB Seagate IDE drive to my system, my computer, along with the second drive, have been really slow (Like, unbearably slow).
When I disconnect the second drive, the speed goes back to normal. But I need that second drive!

Why is it so slow??

My IDE layout:
Primary Master: Maxtor 60GB (Windows drive)
Primary Slave: Seagate 250GB (Making system slow)
Secondary Master: LG DVD-ROM drive
Secondary Slave: None

Thanks!

---------

Another question:
I would much rather have the Seagate drive in a USB enclosure, but I have exchanged three enclosures now, and it works in none of them, even though it works fine internally. The jumpers are set to Master.

The enclosures were:
First try: Generic enclosure
Second try: "Smart-Drive"
Third Try: NexStar something-or-other

None of them would take the drive!
The drive appears in Device Manager, but not in Disk Management, even though Dev. Manager says that it is "Working Properly".

--------

I hate hard drives!!!!!!!!
Go punchcards! :thumbsup: :flowers:

----
EDIT: A pin is missing from the drive, but somebody on another forum said it was fine, could this be the problem? (View attachment)

Thanks!

Attached Files

Edited by JamieH, 24 May 2008 - 11:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:35 AM

That jumper is definitely going to have to be installed. This sets the hdd as either Master (M), Slave (S), or Cable Select (CS).

This tutorial explains the jumper positions and has photos as well.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:46 PM

Why do you have you second HD on the primary channel? Put it on the secondary with the optical drive and see if that helps a bit.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:01 PM

Why do you have you second HD on the primary channel? Put it on the secondary with the optical drive and see if that helps a bit.

The slave hdd is on the proper IDE connection with the master hdd, placing it as a slave on the secondary connector as a slave to the optical drive could actually slow its performance as the optical as the master will dictate the speed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:40 AM

The missing pin in your picture is normal. The depressed pin is not. It could have come damaged from the factory or when installed in an ill-fitting enclosure.
It is more than likely your problem
From what I can see from your pic, the damaged pin is #17, which is a bi-directional data port DDO

Edited by garmanma, 26 May 2008 - 07:50 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:30 AM

Good catch Mark, I should have taken a look at the full size photo. :thumbsup: That pin definitely going to render the hdd useless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users