Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 unkdd

unkdd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:43 PM

system:
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16640)
Boot mode: Normal

Problem:

systems restore doesnt run when activated. page doesnt open for options for restore.
IE doesnt display properly pageses seem to load but then nothing shows up but it gives you the done in the bottom left corner
all logon pages dont seem to work properly they either dont load or the java buttons dont work
the icon for Ie just crreates a new shortcut. the right click menus are not correct
doesnt let me do regular updates from the ms site
when i try to run dss the icon disappears and nothing happpens

what I have tried so far:
- scanned with norton
- scanned with adware
- scanned with superantispy
-scanned with hijackthis
-scanned with spywaredoctor
-scanned with trojan remover
-installed xp service pack 3
-I also have try the system file checker
also alot of the right click menus are wrong

not sure what is going on I think some files may have been erased Im am considering a format but it is a last resort if anyone can help It will be greatly appreciated I have the logs for dss if needed

Edited by unkdd, 24 May 2008 - 10:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:50 PM

With all of the problems that you are having I would suspect infection from some "Critter". I would suggest reading this topic and downloading some of the free ant-virus and anti-spyware tools listed there and run scans to see if anything shows up...

Have you tried DSS scan in Safe Mode not connected to internet?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/405/antivirus-antimalware-and-antispyware-resources/

I'm not a malware expert but from what I've seen discussed in these forums problems like yours are almost always malware related.

The question is whether or not to try and remove this crap or to just "Bite the Bullet"and do a clean install. Either option is probably an acceptable approach.

There may be other options but I don't know....Others might....One thought comes to mind... Did you have these issues before or after SP3 update? You might consider Un-Installing it berfore doing a re-load and see if the problems go away.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 25 May 2008 - 12:35 AM.
Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:04 AM

may I suggest you rerun the superantispyware program in safe mode after fully updating the program;

then post the log it produces for examination please open this program from the desktop icon
please run the scan while you are OFF line and do not have the computer doing any other work while the scan runs

if this is NOT how you have it configued try THIS set up

go to the preferences tab on the right
on the General tab I suggest you disable the scan on start up

on the Hijack protection tab I suggest you tick BOTH items; this enables the program to give you a Hijack home page alert if your home page gets changes ; if you DO get a home page hijack, when you boot up the computer superantispyware will open and tell you the home page has changed and will ask you if this is a legitimate change;

in statistics/logs- go to the bottom and you will see two boxes asking about keeping a log of scanning results and saving empty logs?

Tick both of them

Then go back to the main screen and see the tab that says scan your computer? Do you see that ?

Click on it

A screen will open ;on the left hand side ensure your FIXED drive ( most probably the C drive) is ticked;
Also tick in there any other section that is used and attached .
On the right had side you see three scanning options?; please click the Complete scan option

OK; you are now set to scan

Please then click on the ‘next’ tab and let the scan run please run the scan while you are OFF line and do not have the computer doing any other work while the scan runs

From my experience running this program the complete full scan CAN take many hours to run depending on how much is on your computer so be patient and let it run; maybe go for a cuppa or watch a favourite program while this one runs

Once the scan IS complete you will be presented with a box telling you what the scan has found ( if anything); if harmful objects have been found click on the OK button ; on the next screen all the harmful objects should have a check mark beside them, ; click ‘next’

A notification should appear that

‘quarantine and removal is complete’

click ‘ok’
and then the Finish button to get returned to the main menu

If you have run the scan in computers safe mode you will need to reboot to computer normal mode

If you have run in computer’s normal mode I suggest you reboot to enable the ‘fix’ the program has performed to consolidate

You then need to retrieve the scan result

Open the program and return to the statistics /logs section ; locate the most recent log ; left mouse click on it to highlight it and click the ‘view log’ tab

The log should appear in maybe note pad ; you need to copy and paste that log for examination
Once you have posted the log please close the superantispyware program
that log will give some indication of what IS or is NOT going on :thumbsup:

what did you 'do' with the HJT tool? (do NOT post ANY log from THAT tool in this thread!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users