Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lockups -- Possibly Video Related?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

I have an old machine (dual boot between XP and Ubuntu) that I still use for basic stuff like web, word processing, etc, that's worked fairly reliably.

Until now.

Now, whenever I leave the computer and come back, when I come back it's locked up. No ctrl+alt+delete, no alt-f4, no ctrl-c, I can't even do the SysReq REISUB (which should work pretty much every single time on a Linux system, unless it KPed, which it didn't). Is this a video problem, and if it is, should I pay for a new video card, or should I just get a new system? (It's pretty much a piece of crap held together by duct tape and bubble gum).

Specs:
Processor: Pentium III
RAM: 768 MB
Video card: NVIDIA 5 series (can't recall exact model)
Duct tape brand: Gorilla tape

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:13 PM

No error messages of any sort?

Have you checked Event Viewer?

I guess that I don't expect much of a PIII system in today's world...I'd feel fortunate that the system has been reliable for so long, but I would (if I could afford) consider a replacement system. There's lots of room for system improvement between the era of PIIIs and today's speed demons...any of those systems can certainly perform the functions/uses you seem to favor.

I'm still trying to figure out why your title...when you don't give any details that point in that direction. Many things can cause a system to lock up.

Louis

#3 madman6510

madman6510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:44 PM

More info: When it freezes, the screen is black, except for one time it froze, and the video was all... weird. (Kind of like some things got shifted, and the basic colors took over where they were supposed to be). That's why I think it's video.

I can't check the event viewer, because there is no Windows. :thumbsup:

I tried reinstalling, but it would freeze the installer.

Edited by madman6510, 24 May 2008 - 09:46 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:29 AM

Info appreciated :thumbsup:.

It could be video...it could by system/motherboard...could be a number of things, I really cannot say from here.

I would never encourage anyone to spend money on upgrading any part of a PIII system, when there are systems such as http://www.ascendtech.us/customkititems.as...DTAM2A64X238256 available, which are probably right for users who don't do unusual things on a system (game, video-editing, overclock, etc.).

If you buy a system such as the one listed above...and keep it for as long as you've maintained that PIII, you have a bargain :flowers:. And fewer worries...and a system that more of us are likely to be able to assist you in maintaining in good working order.

Louis

#5 madman6510

madman6510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the help guys. :thumbsup:

I think I'll just try to find a new one, the PIII is probably just going to break again anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users