Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking Strangeness

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SMMAssociates

SMMAssociates

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:01 PM

New Compaq notebook - wired network (originally). (Presario F700, 2GB RAM, big HD, about 2GB processor, Vista Home Premium pre-installed.) SP1 refuses to install - that goofy 0x80070490 error, but this happened before SP1 was released.

Basically, I'll lose connection with my network (other PC's - one Vista, one XP) and the Internet, randomly, if the machine has been in "sleep" mode. (It may do this when it's not lately been asleep, too.)

None of the "repair" tricks work. Rebooting seems to be the only cure. Naturally, I'm six levels deep into some research or other, and while I can easily bookmark things, etc., and the machine itself is fine, a reboot is necessary if I want the web back.... (Doesn't matter whether it's my old standby NetScape 4.8 - remarkably virus-proof - or IE7.)

Getting the wireless link to behave (it was disabled for a long time - don't ask) hasn't changed this - it'll still poof once in a while.

Any ideas? (I already dealt with the "let Windows power off the device thing - that didn't help at all when I was trying to get the Wireless stuff to work.)

And now for something completely different....

(Or, "Saving a Slot" :thumbsup:.)

If I'm using my wired network, I can "see" the XP machine's external HD, and a "public" area of the other Vista box's is invisible. If I switch to wireless, the XP machine goes invisible, but the pubic area on the Vista machine becomes visible.... Using "manage connections", I'm just using the enable and disable functions right there. "Private" networking, etc., turned on. No other action....

?

(By "visible", I mean that I can access it, copy files, etc. "Invisible" drives are still there, but I can't access them.)

TIA
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

Hello, SMMAssociates.

Let's get some information about your network setup.
  • Go to Start -> Run, and type "notepad" into the box.
  • Press ok.
  • Copy and paste the following code into notepad:
    ipconfig /all > %userprofile%\desktop\report.log
    del fix.bat
  • Go to File -> Save
  • To the right of "Save as Type:" in the bottom of the window, change the ComboBox to "All Files"
  • Enter fix.bat into the "File name:" box just above the "Save as Type" box.
  • Double click fix.bat on your desktop.
Paste the contents of report.log (On your desktop) here :thumbsup:

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users