Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Various Icon Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nosmiley

nosmiley

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:26 PM

I have windows vista premium. It came with trial napster installed. I want to remove it from the start programs & remove the icon from the task bar. I will try the freebie later.It doesn't want to move.

I have z hotkey loading each time on the tool bar. I want to completely remove the program & icon. Each time I try, it says I don't have permission. I have tried to change things so that I do have permission, to no avail.

Finally, after downloading the last windows service pack , my sound turned off. After tinkering didn't work, I contacted Microsoft Live- India ,or Packistan. They made two attempts before fixing it. It works fine now, but after they left I noticed
I have an icon on the desktop labled 9537593 audio device. In properties, it has 7.41MB & is called Application [ .EXE ]. Researching the forum, and Microsoft, it appears it's one of those types that an ordinary desktop icon deletion, will delete the program as well. I don't want to do that. I don't need an icon on the desktop.
Please reply in steps and simply as I'm still a dummy.
Thanks.

Gateway 5438
Intel Core 2 duo proc e4200
Memory- dual channel 2048 MB DDR2
320 GB sata II

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:05 AM

To delete the loading programs, I'd first suggest that you be sure to create the Gateway Applications and Drivers disk using the built in utility in the Start menu for this. That way you'll be able to recovery the system in the event that something goes wrong.

To remove the first two, I'd suggest going to Start...Control Panel...Programs...Uninstall a program and uninstall them from there. It may require a reboot to get rid of the remnants that were running when you uninstalled them.

As for the 9537593 file, it appears to be this one: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...matel&st=kw
Since it was used to restore your sound, I'd figure that that's what they did to restore your sound. It's not needed now, so it's safe to delete - but I'd save the link to the download in case you need it again (it's about 1/2 way down the list of downloads on that page).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:01 PM

Thanks for the good directions I followed them and things worked out after tinkering. Zhotkey or the program that produces it, isn't listed in the normal places. It wasn't in the defender software site or the programs install/uninstall part of control panel. I had to get it in search , open file location.
Deleting the Audio Device icon worked as you said. It's gone ,and I still have sound.
Thanks, I appreciate your help.
Nosmiley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users