Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Much Is Too Much?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NORMAN1

NORMAN1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:44 PM

I am not sure if this is the appropriate forum but if instead it should be in Windows XP, please transfer.
I have Windows XP, Home edition (service pack 3 ) as my operating system with only 256 mb of memory.
I always keep it up to date and have all the anti-virus/removal tools included in the updates.
In addition, I have the following applications , all of which are up-to-date and used:
McAfee Security Center, Virus scan and Personal Fire Wall
AVG Anti Spyware 7.5 (premium )
Spyware Blaster
Spybot Search and Destroy
Stinger
SmitFraud Fix and RRT

I also clean files etc regularly with Easy Cleaner, Clean Disk and system disk clean. I will also occasionally use Autoruns.

I have never had any conflict problems except when I had Ad-Aware installed which I no-longer use.

Everytime McAfee sends updates, almost everything else stops or slows down considerably until the update is installed. Also, my computer (Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop) runs rather slowly.

Am I "over-killing" my security? Are my problems insufficient memory? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Norman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 3xist

3xist

• Banned
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:21 AM

Not at all. FYI.. Ad-aware AND Spybot is past it's prime, I recommend you install SUPERAntispyware 4.1 Free. Which is "the new kid on the block", It's database is huge, I really think you can get rid of Spybot, SmitFraud & RRT (Unless you had a malware problem in the past).

Try it, & install it. It's extremely good. Also have some common sense :thumbsup: hehe

Josh

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to be more dialup friendly. ~ Animal

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:15 PM

I always keep it up to date and have all the anti-virus/removal tools included in the updates.

one might ask what antivirus protection is IN that update?

if you have

McAfee Security Center, Virus scan and Personal Fire Wall

do you also have the Windows XP firewall also activated?

can you 'unravell' this a bit for us?

with only 256 mb of memory.

although this article
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...57057.aspx#EHAA

gives some RAM values I suggest you may wish to review your RAM amount?
do you have the latest stinger on there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users