Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"program Not Responding"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pinegum

pinegum

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:08 PM

I'm using Windows XP Home edition with plenty of power and resources.

I recently installed the new Norton 360 2.0 and since then when I go to shut down the computer like I always have, after a few seconds, a window comes up, "Program not responding", "End program ccSvcHst". I hit the "End Now" button and sometimes it works the first time, sometimes I have to do it twice. I have also recently installed "Startup Inspector" to help manage things on start-up. I really don't think the "Startup Inspector" program is the problem, but just wanted you to know what I've done recently.

Any help is appreciated.

Kyle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:11 PM

It's a problem caused by the Symantec software. Ignore the ads, read the info pertaining to said file.

http://www.instant-registry-fixes.org/how-...stexe-problems/

If it were me (I used Symantec products for about 5 years), I would either update...or simply disable that particular .exe if it is not essential. I would use a tool like Startup Inspector or Autoruns to see if I could disable it at startup, failing a place to disable it in the Norton 360 configuration.

I might also do a search at the Symantec forums and see if there are suggestions there.

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:27 PM

CCSVCHOST is the Symantec Service Framework Executable and is needed for the Symantec/Norton stuff to work. I'd suggest uninstalling your Norton product and then reinstalling it. Some will also recommend the use of the Norton Removal Tool as the intermediate step to ensure that all the badness is gone (before reinstalling).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 pinegum

pinegum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:16 PM

Thanks hamluis and usasma. I'm still working on it and will let you know how it turns out.

Kyle

#5 pinegum

pinegum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:13 PM

I had an on-line chat with a Norton Tech Rep yesterday. I authorized him to "take over" my computer while I watched what he did. (Pretty amazing watching) After about 30 - 40 minutes he had it fixed AND my computer is running faster.

Thanks again for your input.

Kyle

#6 cgoldman

cgoldman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:58 PM

The correct solution to try first is to change a registry entry
Hkey current user
ControlPanel